Portals to interiors (post 1.0 feature)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Notarobot

Portals to interiors (post 1.0 feature)

Post by Notarobot »

Something like this instead of teleporting to interior when you open a door. One can dream...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHTAEF5Eoc

A portal to a certain interior activates behind an exterior door when you open it. The door will auto-close in several seconds and the portal will be deactivated. Probably not even possible, just fyi.
Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Notarobot on 16 Sep 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
CMAugust

Re: Portals to interiors (post 2.0 feature)

Post by CMAugust »

Sounds pretty genius actually. Although I get the feeling there's some inherent roadblocks with the way Morrowind's world is set up. Someone more intimately familiar with the engine could elaborate on that.
raevol

Post by raevol »

The issue has always been that many of the interiors are larger than the exteriors. I get how portals may sidestep that issue, so this is an interesting idea to consider.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Yes precisely raevol. It's quite an ingenious solution and one I hadn't heard before. :)
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

FWIW it was a thing in Project Aedra.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Well. Now we know it's definitely doable. That's absolutely nuts.
mjmax

Post by mjmax »

That's a really great idea. If the interiors don't perfectly align with exteriors, you need some sort of non-Euclidean space to make a seamless 3D world work without redesigning everything, and portals are probably the most reasonable solution.
SmartGuar

Post by SmartGuar »

I've been hoping for this feature ever since interior cell preloading was implemented by Scrawl. Wouldn't have called them Portals, though, because I haven't played Portal. :D

Seeing it in action in the video, I'm thinking that you can't implement this feature without giving the NPCs the ability to leave their interior cell. But the portals might make that easier.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Damn that's awesome. It would probably look really strange in some occations though since the interior room can sometimes be a lot bigger than the house you actually enter in Morrowind.

EDIT: Sorry, I obviously didn't read the topic carefully enough. People had already mentioned the issue with interior vs exterior size more that once here.
sgtwisky

Post by sgtwisky »

lysol wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 19:16 Damn that's awesome. It would probably look really strange in some occations though since the interior room can sometimes be a lot bigger than the house you actually enter in Morrowind.
It could be hand waved with a reference to some kind of amazing wizzard who only can cast spacial magic being contracted to a construction guild. LOL.

Joking aside, it would be an amazing feature.