[Solved] Failure to save with "Write operation failed (memory stream)"

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
claudekennilol

[Solved] Failure to save with "Write operation failed (memory stream)"

Post by claudekennilol »

I get this error a lot and there never seems to be anything useful in the openmw.log file. Is there somewhere else that would have more info about what's happening? I get this a ton when in Balmora. When it happens I just quit and restart the game.
AnyOldName3

Re: Failure to save with "Write operation failed (memory stream)"

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is this with a custom build or a nightly, or an official release? I've changed something recently with memory streams, so it's important to know if this is happening before or after my changes. If it's not an official build, then knowing what OS you're on and what versions of the dependencies you're using will help, and if you know how to get one, a stack trace could be useful, too.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Win 10. I'm using the nightly x64 build. This was experienced many times on the July 1st nightly build. Yesterday I reinstalled the nightly build (so the July 8th nightly) and spent maybe 5 mins in Balmora and didn't experience it--that's not any indication of whether or not it might still happen, though.

Can I get a stack trace without actively debugging it? Are there pdbs included with the nightly build? I can download the source and attach to the game while I'm running it then (I'm just assuming that's a thing for c++ 'cause it is for c#). But at that point if I download the source and compile it I could just run the build and (again I'm assuming) put in a break point. I could get a memory dump, but I don't know how useful that'll be--I'm assuming it'd still be useful because once it breaks it appears to just stay broken. As far as I know, a mem dump would only be useful if you're pretty familiar with windbg already--if not, then it probably won't be helpful. I also haven't used it in years so I don't remember which files off of my machine would be useful in addition to the mem dump to more easily dig through it.

I probably won't have much time to mess around with it before the weekend so it may be a while before I can get back to it. The first thing I'll do is run around Balmora a lot and see if I can repro it--if I can then I'll probably just go about compiling the source and actively debugging it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you'd been on Linux, there's a crash catcher that can get a stack trace on a regular build, but you need PDBs and a debugger attached on Windows. If you're willing to build RelWithDebInfo (or Debug if you're happy with single-digit framerates) yourself, http://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title= ... ripted_way should walk you through it in a fairly foolproof way.

The first of July nightly should have my recent change in it, so it's likely that's what's causing the problem.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The first of July nightly should have my recent change in it, so it's likely that's what's causing the problem.
No, it doesn't, the change was merged later that day, not in the morning.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It says it was merged at 10:08 AM in my timezone, and I was under the impression that nightlies were built later than that.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

I haven't had it happen since--I've updated nightlies a couple times since then. I've probably played at least a dozen hours. I'm still keeping my eyes open for it, though.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Probably your PC was just out of memory.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I'm editing this title to solved then. If not, feel free to edit it away again OP.