I dont understand modding with openmw

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
RounIcarus

I dont understand modding with openmw

Post by RounIcarus »

Hey everybody. I have been wanting to get back into Morrowind for a long time. I love the concept that openmw is working with but I dont understand how modding works.

I have a list of mods that I want to use from the nexus site and im starting to get a clear picture of what I want, then I find mods like this. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mod ... ?tab=files That have an openmw specific file type. I came here to write this up because I realized that there is a difference between these mods and that MWSE doesnt work with openmw and the like.

Will I be able to use normal mods from the nexus like morrowind rebirth with openmw? will I be able to use openmw mods without it?

Things like this with the unlimited unknown variables stress me out and make me want to give up like they have for many years. I want this time to not be so confusing and stressful that I give up.

How do I understand what im looking at, and how do I make a modded Morrowind that is satisfying with all that is available?
Stomy

Re: I dont understand modding with openmw

Post by Stomy »

If you haven't read it yet, check out the modding reference in the OpenMW docs.

It's pretty straight-forward: if it requires MWSE or MGE then it doesn't work with OpenMW, if it doesn't need them then it will probably work. Generally the super-complex script mods like Galsiah's Character Development (what ngcdMW is inspired by) or some of the trap-rich megadungeons might have some bugs, but otherwise most stuff from the nexus will just work.

There's also a big bunch of lists of mods on the openmw wiki with their compatibility status, though it's not fully exhaustive and some of it might be out of date.

Otherwise .omwaddon and .esp act exactly the same, you put them in same folder, you activate them in the launcher the same way, etc. It's just that in the future, omwaddons are likely to not work anymore in the vanilla engine.
RounIcarus

Post by RounIcarus »

Thank you, very helpful.
calusari

Post by calusari »

Highly recommend using Mod Organizer and the extension made by AnyOldName3: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642

Don't pollute your game folder. Makes managing mods a lot easier.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

i agree with calusari.
Stomy wrote: 28 May 2019, 04:37
Otherwise .omwaddon and .esp act exactly the same, you put them in same folder, you activate them in the launcher the same way, etc. It's just that in the future, omwaddons are likely to not work anymore in the vanilla engine.
.omwaddons dont have the compiled script byte code(it hasn't been reversed) so scripts made in OpenMW-CS don't operate in the original engine, but other than that they are the same