Changing appearance midgame without resetting stats

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
hodr

Changing appearance midgame without resetting stats

Post by hodr »

There is a lot of pedantic people who would want to have an option to change appearance midgame without resetting stats. Even though it's bugged changing appearance without changing race works in original MW just like in Skyrim. Dawnguard expansion gives the option to change look without console. Something similar in OpenMW would be great. It's a big flaw for open world rpg to lack such option. It's really annoying because there is so many head/hair mods to try.
AnyOldName3

Re: Changing appearance midgame without resetting stats

Post by AnyOldName3 »

This is something that's going to happen eventually, as everyone wants it. However, because Morrowind's race menu meddles with more things than it should, making this kind of change will be much easier once we've got a properly working implementation of the vanilla engine, which (in the grand scheme of things) isn't that far away, but definitely isn't quite now.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 21:56 once we've got a properly working implementation of the vanilla engine, which (in the grand scheme of things) isn't that far away, but definitely isn't quite now.
I may get yelled at for asking this, but... can you please share a current list of the main items remaining before 1.0 hits? I'm very familiar with the Gitlab list, and there are still a fair number of items there with the "1.0" tag (i.e. must be completed before 1.0, assuming that's directly related to the point where OpenMW will be considered to have achieved full implementation of the vanilla engine), but I remember there was a forum post somewhere about 9-12 months back that listed maybe 6-8 major remaining items. I also understand bugfixing will continue regardless (items tagged as "bug" on Git have hovered around 250 for a while now, as new bugs get reported while the devs work hard to smash old ones). Still, I'm curious if there's a clearer "roadmap" for the steps remaining until full engine implementation these days. Regardless and as always, I deeply appreciate all the incredible work that has gone into and continues to go into OpenMW development!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Most of the things are going to be little bugs that show up when using mods, and they won't have been discovered or reported yet. The only thing I remember off the list you're thinking of was shadows, and I've done that. There's CS stuff, but I think we've gone back to the release-OpenMW-1.0-before-OpenMW-CS-1.0 idea as we don't have enough CS developers.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 23:48 Most of the things are going to be little bugs that show up when using mods, and they won't have been discovered or reported yet. The only thing I remember off the list you're thinking of was shadows, and I've done that. There's CS stuff, but I think we've gone back to the release-OpenMW-1.0-before-OpenMW-CS-1.0 idea as we don't have enough CS developers.
Oh wow, so I guess 1.0 (for OpenMW itself, if not for OpenMW-CS) really is coming up soon! Will keep an eye on Git. Thanks for the reply and your hard work.
wareya

Post by wareya »

There are still tons and tons of minor but impactful design/gameplay bugs left to hammer out.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Well, that didn't stop bethesda to release original morrowind... ;-)
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

OpenMW. It just works.