Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ValkyrWarrior

Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

My issue is pretty much what the title says.

I have horrible performance with those options enabled. My Draw Distance is 10000 up from the natural maximum of 6666, my Cell Loading distance is 1, and I have Feature Culling enabled at the lowest 2.0.

I am running on version 0.45.

The game stutters and freezes a lot. My FPS drops significantly. After a few moments, the FPS is stabilized, but the freezing and stuttering is still there. It is also prone to crashing, but that is rare.

I fear my mods might be the culprits:

Better Bodies and Better Heads

Tamriel Rebuilt, with TR_Preview disabled

Skyrim: Home of the Nords (though that shouldn't be an issue given how far away the Reach is)

On the other end, I have both the Morrowind Optimization Patch and Project Atlas.

Edit: Moving to the nightly build of 0.46.0, as of 5/12/2019, has fixed all of these issues, however, the nightly build has a graphical bug where certain parts of the screen flicker black and white, but I'm sure that's unrelated to my issue.
raevol

Re: Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Post by raevol »

Some basics: Operating system version? CPU? GPU and driver version? RAM?
ValkyrWarrior

Re: Horrible performance with Distant Land and Higher Than Natural Draw Distance

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

raevol wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:17 Some basics: Operating system version? CPU? GPU and driver version? RAM?
Win10, FX-4300, HD6670, 8 GB of ram.

I know that this is extremely low end: but this very same machine ran with MGE XE's increased draw distance without an issue.

See the edit, however; I seem to have fixed the issue by updating to a nightly build, but another issue of certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black and white has arisen.
raevol

Post by raevol »

ValkyrWarrior wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:23 another issue of certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black and white has arisen.
GPU and driver version are going to be the culprits there, but one of our graphics devs will have to chime in.
ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

raevol wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:43
ValkyrWarrior wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:23 another issue of certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black and white has arisen.
GPU and driver version are going to be the culprits there, but one of our graphics devs will have to chime in.
I'm guessing it's either that or the fact that nightly builds are unstable. Prooooobably the former given how bad my system is, but I haven't ran into an issue with OpenMW til now. As for my drivers, I can't provide a specific version but what I do know is that they're up to date, given I had to reinstall them a few days ago.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

ValkyrWarrior wrote: 12 May 2019, 05:43 Tamriel Rebuilt, with TR_Preview disabled
Skyrim: Home of the Nords (though that shouldn't be an issue given how far away the Reach is)
Distant Terrain in 0.45 and earlier versions is experimental feature and it is not optimized well, so it has issues with huge landmass mods, and there is nothing we can do here.
In the 0.46 Distant Terrain got some important optimizations and can handle large world well.

As for the "certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black", I can only suggest you to do a bisect to determine when exactly this issue appeared.
Stomy

Post by Stomy »

ValkyrWarrior wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:23 I seem to have fixed the issue by updating to a nightly build, but another issue of certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black and white has arisen.
Do you mean like this?

Because this briefly wasn't happening when master was single-threaded, so I think one of these two issues might already cover it.
ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

Stomy wrote: 12 May 2019, 14:31
ValkyrWarrior wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:23 I seem to have fixed the issue by updating to a nightly build, but another issue of certain objects and terrain flashing to pure black and white has arisen.
Do you mean like this?

Because this briefly wasn't happening when master was single-threaded, so I think one of these two issues might already cover it.
Not like that. The flashes are too fast to capture with screenshots, and I'm very inept at recording. But it looks almost like aberrations. Upon further experimentation these aberrations only happen if I'm looking at terrain. If I say, look up at the sky but there's a building or two in my POV, the aberrations don't happen at all.

I know it's hard to describe but that's the best I can do.
Last edited by ValkyrWarrior on 12 May 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Stomy wrote: 12 May 2019, 14:31 Because this briefly wasn't happening when master was single-threaded, so I think one of these two issues might already cover it.
1. OpenMW was not single threaded at all.
2. OP claims that 0.45 has no this issue, but referenced bugs should affect 0.45 and older releases as well.
Stomy

Post by Stomy »

akortunov wrote: 12 May 2019, 15:40 1. OpenMW was not single threaded at all.
2. OP claims that 0.45 has no this issue, but referenced bugs should affect 0.45 and older releases as well.
1. Then it was multi-threaded but mutex-locked, I distinctly remember a time about a month or two ago when rendering was temporarily on the same frame as everything else and this wasn't happening, whereas it had been before and still does now. It was not 0.45 but it was on master before 0.45's release.
2. OP just clarified he's got a different bug.