Android part 2

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
thephantomfiddler

Re: Android part 2

Post by thephantomfiddler »

Currently the default load order the mod manager shows is incorrect, as it doesn't do a dependency sort properly.
Laicus

Post by Laicus »

Loki0311 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 17:37 It is playable, but frustrating.
Add these lines in settings.cfg, the picture will deteriorate a bit (almost imperceptibly), but fps will rise very significantly.

[Camera]
small feature culling = true
small feature culling pixel size = 16

[Terrain]
distant terrain = true
lod factor = 0.6
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

thephantomfiddler wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 17:40 Currently the default load order the mod manager shows is incorrect, as it doesn't do a dependency sort properly.
It does not do any dependency sort at all, you need to sort the mods manually.
Rygorlios

Post by Rygorlios »

Loki0311 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 17:37
Sonny101 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 16:25 @Loki0311
I also played this a few months ago on my Nexus 5X and the performance was about the same. Thing is, Nexus 5X has terrible overheating issues so pretty much every time you start a heavier app, it instantly heats the phone up and lowers the performance to stop the heat. It's not a gaming phone unfortunately (and 2GB of RAM on a phone isn't great these days and it was a mid-range phone back when it came out, in 2015) and the best thing that helped me was to reduce the render distance in cities to minimum allowed in the game settings. Also make sure you have water effects turned all off, those eat a lot of performance as well and I've heard installing some mods like Morrowind Optimization Patch helped them
I'm well aware of the hardware limitations of the 5x. The thing is, there are several other contemporary ports that I frequently run on my 5x. KOTOR [2003] and JKII Jedi Outcast [2002] handle well without any FPS or other problems, so I figured TESIII would run more smoothly than it does. It is playable, but frustrating. I have been operating under the assumption that Morrowind is much more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. I once played through a heavily modded PC version on a 2010 quadcore vista laptop with 1gb ram and no GPU. As such, I assumed my phone's hexcore + gpu +2gb ram would be more than up to the job without downscaling. What am I missing here?

Related to my config issues (specifically, not being able to save config changes), I'd like to request an option for preload # of threads setting in the app launcher. This would make it easier to take advantage of my device's 2 cores that openMW doesn't use without touching the config files.

It has been my experience that if I save a custom resolution in my config file it is overwritten to the default when I launch, but for some reason if I save the resolution in the GUI the setting takes hold, and the config file reflects the new resolution setting. As such, I think it might help to put some of the more powerful config options (such as preload multithreading) into the launcher.
I myself am also hoping they will optimize OpenMW more in these regards because indeed I can play games on my phone that are orders of magnitude more demanding than this, the performance doesn't seem to make sense.

I don't know if it is related to the Android port or to the fact that OpenMW is not written for mobile but I was under the impression that the issues are more rooted in OpenMW itself and further optimization is likely to come further down the line. (No idea if that is accurate though)
Loki0311

Post by Loki0311 »

Laicus wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 18:18
Loki0311 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 17:37 It is playable, but frustrating.
Add these lines in settings.cfg, the picture will deteriorate a bit (almost imperceptibly), but fps will rise very significantly.

[Camera]
small feature culling = true
small feature culling pixel size = 16

[Terrain]
distant terrain = true
lod factor = 0.6
I'd like to try this, but as I reported in my original post, any time I edit either of my config files they are overwritten when I launch the app. I have tried multiple latest versions of openMW and still am experiencing this problem. I can edit the config files and save the changes on my device or on my PC, but for some reason when the app is launched they are overwritten back to default.
Rygorlios

Post by Rygorlios »

xyzz wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 17:25]

Yes you can edit openmw-base.cfg for now. I'll consider adding support for multiple data folders if there's reasonable demand for it.

By the way, I suggest making backups of your configuration files (and savedata) if you have a lot of mods set up. Until the app's released on google play/etc I consider this an alpha test with possibility of incompatible changes happening at any time.
Thanks! Yes indeed I'll make sure to do backups. Would be awesome if support for multiple data folders is added at some point, I thought that was one of the key features of OpenMW as it really allows you to be so much more flexible with mods rather than having to destructively overwrite files every time you wanna add a mod that does something to some texture or mesh that another mod already changed too etc.
Mamman3300

Post by Mamman3300 »

@xyzz thanks for the new apk, works like a charm.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android/ ... 2019-04-29
- Added a (preliminary) file picker to easier select the Data Files location. Note that it will change its behavior in the (very short) future... be prepared to copy your whole Morrowind folder, not just the "Data Files" as is requried now. At the minimum you will need Morrowind.ini in addition to the data files.
- Fixed black screen issue after the app is minimized and maximized back
- Updated OpenMW to 8d489793a95bc9a38f17100204f2f44a800e73ef
- Various code cleanups
Tecumseh1976

Post by Tecumseh1976 »

In the latest APK textures or meshes are not appearing correctly until you are very close to the item. I hope you understand what I am referring to. Downloaded my backup APK and it's definitely only with the lastest APK.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

Tecumseh1976 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 21:23 In the latest APK textures or meshes are not appearing correctly until you are very close to the item. I hope you understand what I am referring to. Downloaded my backup APK and it's definitely only with the lastest APK.
What is the version/date of your "backup APK"?