Android part 2

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
Mamman3300

Re: Android part 2

Post by Mamman3300 »

New apk version keeps crashing to homescreen when i tap the play button.
Device is Honor 6x
Rygorlios

Post by Rygorlios »

First of all, huge thanks, xyzz, for all the amazing work and of course to the OpenMW team too. This latest update completely messed everything up for me though :D.

It reset my openmw.cfg file without me asking it seems so I lost my entire setup there. And as I tried to replicate it again, I could not understand the new way of doing things. Simply copying my mods into the data files folder doesn't make them show up. And if it is expected to actually extract the data into the Morrowind data folders and overwrite meshes/textures/etc now, that defeats the purpose of how OpenMW normally (and until now also on mobile) allows you to keep all mods separate and load them from their own folders specified in the cfg so that you never have to create this Frankenstein of a data-files folder.

I used to have all my mods in a separate directory (separate from data-files), specified each folder in openmw.cfg as well as their esm's etc when needed. How exactly should I go about it now if I don't want to overwrite Morrowind's own textures etc?
thephantomfiddler

Post by thephantomfiddler »

Mamman3300 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 10:56 New apk version keeps crashing to homescreen when i tap the play button.
Device is Honor 6x
Can you post your Logcat?
Loki0311

Post by Loki0311 »

xyzz wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 23:48
Loki0311 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 20:45 First off, big thanks to the entire openMW team, love all your work

That said, I am experiencing a puzzling issue. My framerate (exterior) is stuck below ~15fps and I can't seem to boost it no matter what I change. Interior fps pushes 100 regularly. 100% vanilla GoTY data files. Latest version of openMW.

The bottleneck according to the monitor appears to be "draw", but I'm not sure how to address that. The other bars on the monitor line graph are all below 50%, but draw is completely maxed (will post screenshot when able). Enabling/disabling preload had no effect, raising/lowering resolution had no effect, adjusting draw distance had no effect, changing physics FPS had no effect, changing collision box had no effect.

My device is a Nexus 5x with a 6 core CPU (each core @ 1.8GHz) ... my assumption was that it should be maxing FPS everywhere in vanilla. I'm pretty sure I just have something configured wrong.

Speaking of configs, any time I make changes to either of my config files, once I launch the app they are overwritten to default. I have been making changes in settings.cfg and settings-default.cfg but the changes are not captured. I've even tried changing the cfg files on my PC and then sideloading them onto the phone, but they get overwritten when I launch the app. Has anyone seen/solved this before?
If your settings are being overwritten every time, you're not using the latest version of the apk. Check the version you've installed.
So I'm still experiencing these problems after updating to the most recent release (cf85f00045b2d0c6ddbbc02befc6cf434fcbfd94). I was on release b77bd9cf9b06bfa1be2eac59390e8d4744fcd2e9 when I initially posted, which was at the time the most recent release of openMW as far as I can tell.

Here's a screenshot that includes the monitor graph: https://imgur.com/045RcBw
The configuration file problem is still present as well. I'm able to edit the files but when I launch the app they are immediately overwritten back to default.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rygorlios

Post by Rygorlios »

Loki0331, actually from what I understand the performance issues are kind of normal, especially in places like Balmora. I myself got performance to a reasonable level on my Snapdragon 820 device by setting the resolution to 1066x600. This might seem low but I also added 4x msaa in settings.cfg and it looks completely smooth (plus GUI scaling can just be set to 1x). I also set physics to 15fps. This setup allows for very smooth framerates outside cities and even smoother in interiors and acceptable (15-30-ish) in cities.
Rygorlios

Post by Rygorlios »

@xyzz I keep trying different ways to add my mods back but haven't found any way to make that work on the latest version any more. Just one or two versions back, I'd be able to just add more 'data=' lines to openmw.cfg and specify more mod folders but with this new mod selection system or seems editing the cfg like that is no longer intended and the file gets reset when I start it up. I also tried to add multiple data files paths in the client but that field only accepts one path.

Edit: found a temporary workaround! Currently just listing all my folders and mods in openmw-base.cfg. I know that's not the way it's intended but at least my setup works again for now :D.
Sonny101

Post by Sonny101 »

@Loki0311
I also played this a few months ago on my Nexus 5X and the performance was about the same. Thing is, Nexus 5X has terrible overheating issues so pretty much every time you start a heavier app, it instantly heats the phone up and lowers the performance to stop the heat. It's not a gaming phone unfortunately (and 2GB of RAM on a phone isn't great these days and it was a mid-range phone back when it came out, in 2015) and the best thing that helped me was to reduce the render distance in cities to minimum allowed in the game settings. Also make sure you have water effects turned all off, those eat a lot of performance as well and I've heard installing some mods like Morrowind Optimization Patch helped them
edit: just tried it on the newest version on 5X and had about 15FPS average in Balmora on lowest settings with a bit lower resolution
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

Rygorlios wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 15:38 @xyzz I keep trying different ways to add my mods back but haven't found any way to make that work on the latest version any more. Just one or two versions back, I'd be able to just add more 'data=' lines to openmw.cfg and specify more mod folders but with this new mod selection system or seems editing the cfg like that is no longer intended and the file gets reset when I start it up. I also tried to add multiple data files paths in the client but that field only accepts one path.

Edit: found a temporary workaround! Currently just listing all my folders and mods in openmw-base.cfg. I know that's not the way it's intended but at least my setup works again for now :D.
Yes you can edit openmw-base.cfg for now. I'll consider adding support for multiple data folders if there's reasonable demand for it.

By the way, I suggest making backups of your configuration files (and savedata) if you have a lot of mods set up. Until the app's released on google play/etc I consider this an alpha test with possibility of incompatible changes happening at any time.
Last edited by xyzz on 28 Apr 2019, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android/ ... 2019-04-28
- Fixed crash on startup on older devices

Here's the changelog for the previous version (2019-04-27):
- New "Mods..." menu is implemented through which you can enable, disable or reorder plugins and resource files. Just place your mods into the data files directory and choose "Mods..." in the main menu to configure them.
- Updated OpenMW to cf85f00045b2d0c6ddbbc02befc6cf434fcbfd94

(You might have to reset your configuration files. Shall you encounter any issues, click "menu->Reset configuration files" to do so)
Loki0311

Post by Loki0311 »

Sonny101 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 16:25 @Loki0311
I also played this a few months ago on my Nexus 5X and the performance was about the same. Thing is, Nexus 5X has terrible overheating issues so pretty much every time you start a heavier app, it instantly heats the phone up and lowers the performance to stop the heat. It's not a gaming phone unfortunately (and 2GB of RAM on a phone isn't great these days and it was a mid-range phone back when it came out, in 2015) and the best thing that helped me was to reduce the render distance in cities to minimum allowed in the game settings. Also make sure you have water effects turned all off, those eat a lot of performance as well and I've heard installing some mods like Morrowind Optimization Patch helped them
I'm well aware of the hardware limitations of the 5x. The thing is, there are several other contemporary ports that I frequently run on my 5x. KOTOR [2003] and JKII Jedi Outcast [2002] handle well without any FPS or other problems, so I figured TESIII would run more smoothly than it does. It is playable, but frustrating. I have been operating under the assumption that Morrowind is much more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. I once played through a heavily modded PC version on a 2010 quadcore vista laptop with 1gb ram and no GPU. As such, I assumed my phone's hexcore + gpu +2gb ram would be more than up to the job without downscaling. What am I missing here?

Related to my config issues (specifically, not being able to save config changes), I'd like to request an option for preload # of threads setting in the app launcher. This would make it easier to take advantage of my device's 2 cores that openMW doesn't use without touching the config files.

It has been my experience that if I save a custom resolution in my config file it is overwritten to the default when I launch, but for some reason if I save the resolution in the GUI the setting takes hold, and the config file reflects the new resolution setting. As such, I think it might help to put some of the more powerful config options (such as preload multithreading) into the launcher.