path tracing,ray tracing?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Gabe447

path tracing,ray tracing?

Post by Gabe447 »

I know theres alot of graphical features to be added to openmw that mge already has but it would be great if this was a future feature seeing how pretty its made a game like minecraft with Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders I can only imagine how beautiful it would make morrowind look i wouldn't expect a feature like this to be added till after 1.0 and don't know how hard it would be to implement but that with all the graphical enhancements that morrowind has seen by the community would truly make that game look next gen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekG2q_eYCAM
raevol

Re: path tracing,ray tracing?

Post by raevol »

It's so beautiful :shock: stuff like this convinces me more and more that lighting (and the other thing for me is animation) are what make good graphics, not poly counts or texture resolutions.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

There's a lot of truth to that raevol. Short of remaking every asset, the inclusion of shadows in OpenMW is probably the single biggest leap in Morrowind's visuals for precisely that reason. Lighting is absolutely crucial in the perception of beauty, whether it's a painting or a video game.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I need to rewatch this to make sure it's as cool as I thought it was when I saw it years ago, but this is the animation work I am interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNidsMesxSE
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Honestly, while I would understand if the results aren't convincing enough for super-realistic humans in your average AAA title, the method used in Overgrowth is still extremely impressive to me - and lightyears ahead of Morrowind.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Yes, the Overgrowth approach is really cool. IIRC, Overgrowth's code is open source, even though the assets are not. So I guess one could easily take a look at the code and see what's going on behind the animations?
1Mac

Post by 1Mac »

From the showcases I’ve seen, I’ve had the fear that ray-tracing will be the bloom lighting of the ‘20s: cool, but overused, with an eye toward novelty instead of taste. Imagine how shiny everything is going to be. Maybe because there aren’t any reflective materials, this showcase is actually pretty tasteful, though some of the lighting is a bit overexposed. If it can be implemented in OpenMW, great!
raevol

Post by raevol »

My understanding of ray tracing, and someone please correct me if I am making a fool of myself, is that it provides accurate, or at least more accurate, illumination and shadows. So when you have a light emitting object, the intensity and color of that light naturally illuminates the objects in the path of that light. Reflections and transparencies are nice side benefits, but the real "gift" it gives is illuminating a scene based on the actual path of light from the light sources, instead of estimating zealously.
raevol

Post by raevol »

raevol wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 07:16 this is the animation work I am interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNidsMesxSE
Sorry I know this is a little tangential to OP, but I rewatched this, and it is as I remember, I'd love to see this kind of system in OpenMW. I wish he had gone into more detail about animating holding items and attacking with them, but his whole minimal keyframe + interpolate thing I think is amazing.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Maybe someone will laugh but for me the best animation was in Oblivion, but only face animation.
That nice camera zoom on character face, with subtle eyes, mouth and head movement.
Just like in real life when you have serious conversation, you focus on that persons face.
That was something new for me and very well implemented in the game, it was really immersive and would like to see this also in TES VI.
Not saying that animation was that good good but it was OK. Anyway as someone who have done a lot of AAA games, you guys would not believe what garbage data AAA studios send you to work with, it was a nightmare sometimes.
Never really liked TES animations, because it's all RAW, especially in Skyrim. I hope they will enlist true professionals that know what they are doing with mocap.