OpenMW YouTube videos

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
mistermoonshine

OpenMW YouTube videos

Post by mistermoonshine »

I noticed there is a lack of YT videos about OpenMW, aside from the devblogs that go on the MrOpenMW channel. I mean videos about demonstrating OpenMW specific features and highlights, discussing OpenMW mods and mod compatibility, stuff like that. I had an idea to create a video on my channel about normal mapping and specifically how it relates to OpenMW, aimed at users who maybe aren't sure what normal mapping is or have never given much thought to switching from the vanilla engine. And also to give free advertising to lysol :D . What are your thoughts on this?
raevol

Re: OpenMW YouTube videos

Post by raevol »

Please!! That'd be awesome!
mistermoonshine

Well I made it. First time making a video like this, it was a learning process. Hope it is useful to someone out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6ecpVZT7Q
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

Hey,
very nice video :D It really gives a good (and humorous) overview on the topic.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Wow, very nicely done! I lost it at the *cough cough* part. :lol:

This is actually a really great advertisement for "why" OpenMW.

Edit: Can I share this on the OpenMW facebook page?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Hey, nice one. :) I agree with about the bonemold replacer. It's probably the best armor replacer out there.

And nice redlettermedia reference there.
mistermoonshine

Thanks guys. I would be happy if you put it on the OpenMW facebook.
1Mac

Post by 1Mac »

Great video! Not only awesome for OpenMW, but for explaining normals to a general audience.

(A shiny Septim for you if you finish those head normal maps.)
mistermoonshine

1Mac wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 18:26 Great video! Not only awesome for OpenMW, but for explaining normals to a general audience.

(A shiny Septim for you if you finish those head normal maps.)
I actually did finish them, MindTex can easily batch normal map entire folders of diffuse textures at once. I've done it for most texture mods in my game. Obviously the result isn't as good as a normal map edited for every texture individually like lysol's but in most cases it's better than nothing. I contacted MacKom about uploading them on the nexus but he hasn't been online in a month. last time I uploaded MindTex'd normal maps for a mod without asking the author I got suspended, which I don't personally agree with because they're kind of useless without the source textures, but they're the rules. Since MindTex is paid software and I already bought it, I would like to batch normal map or even parallax map popular mods and upload them to the nexus but chasing after permissions is a chore. I don't really have any interest in asset art myself but I would like to get more people using normal maps and OpenMW.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Posted on the facebook. :)