OpenMW 0.45.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Capostrophic

Re: OpenMW 0.45.0

Post by Capostrophic »

There was an issue with freetype osg plugin missing which lead to OSG profiler font getting unused, so far only Linux RCs include the plugin, though Ace is aware of it. Release builds will be a bit different at least in this way.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Can we release 0.45 without videos, if they will not be available for a while?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I agree. While I love and greatly appreciate Atahualpa's videos, especially because they bring to light things that I wouldn't have understood just by reading the changelog, it seems a little absurd to hold off on a release like this unless there's really something impactful to show (e.g. shadows). I'm sure we would all love Atahualpa to finish the video, but maybe he can release after we've officially released 0.45. Or he could make a double feature for 0.46 that combines the most interesting of both once we get to 0.46.

If PR is the main reason for videos, I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot at this point. We gain negative PR by delaying releases this long by giving more ammunition to the "OpEnMW is nEveR GonNa ReAch 1.0 bEcaUse It'S bEEn OveR X moNthS SiNcE tHeiR LaSt ReLEase!" crowd.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If we could get a video out in the next few days before the Skyrim Together Sucks wave finishes, it would be good for PR, but if it's much longer, then a videoless release now could be a better way of capitalising on it.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Imo it's actually better to stagger the main release and the video release. Have the main one out so there's one spike in interest, then a recap video on the update to rekindle interest for anyone who missed the main release.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Mistahtokyo wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 06:08 Imo it's actually better to stagger the main release and the video release. Have the main one out so there's one spike in interest, then a recap video on the update to rekindle interest for anyone who missed the main release.
Sorry if I'm interrupting, but as a non-developer who's been watching OpenMW's progress for many years, this makes a lot of sense to me as well. There are always periods of several months between releases (for good reason), and staggering the videos after the releases somewhat might help to keep the PR momentum going during what would otherwise seem to be periods of inactivity to many non-devs. Of course, there will always be those who complain that OpenMW is suddenly "dead" because a new version hasn't been released in the past 15 seconds. Not much you'll be able to do about those people until 1.0 eventually releases.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Two new regressions caught and fixed, new round of RCs please.

https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2235
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/2238

@mikeprichard because we are still in the RC phase and catching things because we don't have enough testers. So if you would like to see new releases faster, then we need more testers to test our builds before we release. So it is actually a good thing that we are holding off until the videos are ready.

Want to talk about waiting on Godot, checkout DaggerXL! :lol:
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

psi29a wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 11:51 @mikeprichard because we are still in the RC phase and catching things because we don't have enough testers. So if you would like to see new releases faster, then we need more testers to test our builds before we release. So it is actually a good thing that we are holding off until the videos are ready.

Want to talk about waiting on Godot, checkout DaggerXL! :lol:
I didn't say I personally expected new releases faster; just agreeing that the video (which is a huge amount of work, especially for one person) doesn't necessarily need to be the blocker for a new release for the reasons already mentioned. And yeah, DaggerXL actually dying was pretty damn predictable when the single developer refused to open it up to other contributors, but that was his call. OpenMW may have a ways to go yet, but it's happening!
corristo

Post by corristo »

kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

I havent seen atahualpa active in forum for a long time