Fill Map Command

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Xenuria

Fill Map Command

Post by Xenuria »

I have spent a good amount of time testing the UI and different sizing options for the Global map, the local map and the placement of icons on the map for towns. I have also been tinkering with new land masses as well as changes in map texture and resolution. The number one bottleneck I experience is that I have to manually re-explore the map to see changes. I wish there was a command that forced the entire map to be redrawn based on presently active settings and textures.
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Re: Fill Map Command

Post by testman »

Oh, you mean the tiles?

There is a command that makes all the marked locations appear, but I am not aware of a command that would display whole map as explored.

Thing is that those tiles are not just displayed, they are "drawn". Meaning that if you take a pillow, place it at the border of a not yet explore cell, scale it to x200 and then enter the unexplored cell, both your local and world map will now show satellite view of a big white pillow.

So to draw whole map, every cell would have to be loaded and "visited" in some way in order to get all the data needed to make map tiles appear. And I am not aware of such functionality being in OpenMW or in the original executable.
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

I know it would be intensive but it would still be less taxing than setting speed to 20000 and turning off collision and then flying around the map in a jagged attempt to draw it. It's a functionality that should exist even if only for the purposes of testing UI stuff or mods.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The fastest way to do this right now would probably be to write a script that just coced every cell in turn.
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 01:08 The fastest way to do this right now would probably be to write a script that just coced every cell in turn.
I am not sure how I would do that or what settings I would use to make that a smooth process.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Basically, you'd open the CS and make a mod that added a spell or a button or something that ran a script when activated. In that script, you'd iterate through every cell and COC to it. I've not done much with scripting, so don't know if you can use a pair of nested for loops to just visit every cell really easily or if you're going to have to copy and paste a zillion lines, but the gist of the approach is here.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Loading every cell in morrowind would take quite some time.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You need to load every cell to generate the map. You can't draw the map if you haven't loaded what you're drawing.
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

I suppose anything is better than turning off collision, flying high up into the sky and setting speed to 6000. I will look into this.