Change hardcoded game mechanics

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
Youza

Change hardcoded game mechanics

Post by Youza »

Hello to everyone at the OpenMW Community :D !

I am wondering if it is possible to develop content within the OpenMW CS (or not in the CS, by another means) that changes the game mechanics that are hardcoded into the game? Such as changing the way magic is cast, things like creating a new magicka system, things like creating conditions before weapons can be swung, etc. And how would I do it (roughly)?
Really, I'm wondering if there is any way to create this without the necessity to get my hands too dirty: I am a novice in the regard that I only know the basics of how to use the OpenMW CS, but I'm willing to learn whatever I need to - even if I do have to get my hands dirty :) .

Thanks in advance, and hopefully it is possible ;) !
lysol

Re: Change hardcoded game mechanics

Post by lysol »

All these things are planned for the great de-hardcoding phase that will begin once 1.0 is done for both OpenMW and OpenMW-CS. OpenMW is very close to this goal, but OpenMW-CS is unfortunately not. So in other words: You can't do this now, but later you should be able to.
Youza

Post by Youza »

Thank you for letting me know! Unfortunate that it's not available now; I can't wait for this
lysol wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 08:52 great de-hardcoding phase
! It sounds like it's gonna be awesome! I read something about it on the OpenMW timeline: thank you for clarifying :D .

Just a quick question (more for the sake of interest): what benefit will de-hardcoding provide to OpenMW itself without the OpenMW-CS? Is it just a step in the phase or will it provide other benefits?
lysol

Post by lysol »

If you want to read the details, you can read it here: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/blob/m ... -stage1.md

This outlines the first stage of the de-hardcoding. I might make a TL/DR version later unless someone else beats me to it.