Odd/Incorrect Lighting on Meshes

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: Odd/Incorrect Lighting on Meshes

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There are normals in the meshes, too. If they're stupid, I'm guessing OpenMW might be fixing them and the original engine might not be (or vice versa) and that's wareya's guess.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Vanilla Hlaalu wall meshes have normals?
Would editing the meshes work, then? The seams are very jarring during normal gameplay. Whole town looks like some lego tileset instead of houses.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Mistahtokyo wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 08:06 Vanilla Hlaalu wall meshes have normals?
He is not talking about normal maps. Easily confused for the uninvited.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Pardon my ignorance, still have a lot left to understand :oops:
lysol

Post by lysol »

Hey no need to apologize. You can read about it here if you want.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Okay, this seam lights properly during nighttime with a handheld light, so I have no suspicion that it's bad normals anymore.

PS: We have some serious terrain lighting problems because of lighting selection like in Sadith Mora, but vanilla has them too.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

+1. I'd love to see these issues diagnosed. One day I hope for lighting fixes beyond even vanilla Morrowind, smoothing out all the annoying seams and popping that's so apparent with torches/light spells.
wareya

Post by wareya »

There's a pretty obvious/simple way to fix all the game's lighting problems (render every light on every object, into a framebuffer just containing lighting info if necessary) but it would slow the game down a lot. I wonder what OSG has for advanced lighting.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

This seems like a good enough excuse to bring up clustered shading again. Actually, I've been meaning to make a topic about it in Feature Suggestions for the longest time. I'll do that tomorrow.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Deferred techniques have a lot of issues that aren't easily resolvable (e.g. no MSAA without complicated workarounds that make things slow, not working at all with translucent things, which is like half of all Morrowind meshes). However, forward-plus rendering is starting to be adopted, and while it still has the overdraw issues of forward rendering, it can handle lots of lights a lot more gracefully.