OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
silentthief

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by silentthief »

cc9cii - those vids are awesome! Its great to see that you are making progress on this, and that it is compatible/working with both TES3 and TES4

ST
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Thanks for your kind words but to be honest I'm feeling a bit down with the animation issues at the moment. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if Ogre has limitations with skinned meshes. If it is the latter:
  • abandon the current effort and start again using another engine
  • keep going and hope to discover a workaround (what happens if the workaround kills the performance?)
  • make a compatibility patch (which may require updating thousands of meshes)
None of the choices are appealing to me.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

OpenMW 0.45 / OSG? :)

I mean... a stated goal is to see OpenMW eventually support other games beyond Morrowind. And... I don't see OpenMW heading back to using Ogre3d any time soon.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

OSG definitely had limitations with skinning, so we had to roll our own system there. Not using the system provided by the graphics library isn't the end of the world.
XJDHDR
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

cc9cii wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 22:12 This one is just a test to see if a new capture software will look ok. OBS is difficult to use for me - I can hardly figure out how to record anything. On the other hand there is no watermark and it forces me to use higher resolution (because I can't figure out how to make it fit to the window size) which makes the video look better!
There is a bit of a learning curve but once you've climbed it, OBS is an excellent screen capture program. If you're using OBS Studio, most of the relevant settings are found in the Settings window.
Output tab is where all the encoding options are found. Personally, I use x264 encoder, set Rate Control to CRF 16 (changes bitrate automatically based on scene complexity. Lower numbers give higher quality) and CPU usage to Ultrafast (reduces CPU usage at expense of file size but you can always re-encode after recording).
Next, Video tab has your resolution and FPS settings. Base (Canvas) Resolution sets the size of the recording area and Output (Scaled) Resolution sets the video's resolution. I personally set both to my screen's resolution (1440p).
Finally, in the main window, the "Sources" pane sets the windows and programs that OBS will record, though I'm assuming you already know how to use it.

On a side note, do you have any plans to move over to the OSG version of OpenMW or are you going to stick with your Ogre fork for the near future?
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Thanks, I'll play with the settings (I'm using OBS 22.0.2 which turns into OBS Studio if I press the "Studio Mode" button).
XJDHDR wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 03:45 On a side note, do you have any plans to move over to the OSG version of OpenMW or are you going to stick with your Ogre fork for the near future?
I'm not sure any more. I'll have to chew on this one. But nothing is going to be near future (since it will take time either for me to learn a new engine or for someone else to port stuff over).
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

cc9cii wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 23:01 I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if Ogre has limitations with skinned meshes.
Latest FO3 video looks quite good.
Are you found some workaround for this skinning issue?
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Just a workaround for that issue only - similar attempt to fix the Spider Daedra didn't work, unfortunately. I have a feeling that I'm missing some info. Surely if the original engine could work with the same NIF there must be some way.

There is a possibility that the NIF itself is buggy. I have noticed that GOG version of Oblivion GOTY (fully patched) actually ships with older versions of NIFs that have issues (I only noticed because I already had the original from years ago which I was using to test previously). So maybe FO3 I got from GOG might be affected in a similar way.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Fresh video with physics - so promising!
Is it Bullet?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Either Bullet or something hand-rolled.