Are GUI extensions available on TES3MP < 0.7?

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
Ptatakokwa

Are GUI extensions available on TES3MP < 0.7?

Post by Ptatakokwa »

Greetings.

I am struggling with creating an add-on to TES3MP 0.7-alpha. It's purpose is to display current health of player characters on the server. The ideal solution would be a party pane, similar to MMO games.

My background is back-end web development for couple of years. Never previously modded an Elder Scrolls game.

I tired many different approaches, none of which seem any good. My question is, what am I supposed to do, where to go and what to read? So far I tried the following.
1. I tweaked "mp-stuff/scripts" in Lua. Can't seem to find "createPane" function. There are functions to call in game dialog menu, but that's not it.
2. I used native scripts to make dummies play the role of nameplates. It works in singleplayer. However, it is poorly synchronized in multiplayer on a live server. Anyway, this is suboptimal solution, to say the least.
3. I browsed C++ classes that seem to be responsible for GUI on GitHub. However, 1) C++ is not one of my languages; 2) I am currently on Windows and my friend's server is on Windows too; forking and building would be difficult.

Examining existing forum threads and existing plugins only further confuses me.

In the end, I am lost. Please, decisively point me in the direction to the tech that is capable of solving my problem and is probable to be supported in the future.
davidcernat

Re: Are GUI extensions available on TES3MP < 0.7?

Post by davidcernat »

Unsurprisingly, not everything that can be thought of can be scripted in yet. As far as complicated GUI changes are concerned, TES3MP prefers to avoid creating potential merge conflicts with OpenMW for the time being.
Ptatakokwa

Post by Ptatakokwa »

I take it that you suggest to wait for developers to release more features. Is there an existing framework that is likely to be implemented to support GUI extensions in the future? Is it possibly considered too low of a priority?

I am fine with the notion of making something myself, as long as I can hope for resonable compatibility in the future.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

TES3MP doesn't want to unilaterally deviate from OpenMW in unnecessary areas, which is why a GUI framework extensive enough to allow for a custom party HUD element would have to be discussed in depth with OpenMW and be based on OpenMW's own wishes for such a framework. Alternatively, you could wait for the official take on that specific HUD element.

If this really matters to you, I suppose you can implement such an element in C++ for your custom build, but you should have no expectations of future compatibility with anything.
Ptatakokwa

Post by Ptatakokwa »

Thank you for the extensive answer. Let the thread be open for a little while, please. Maybe some player will want to share their thoughts on the matter for future reference.
Nkfree

Post by Nkfree »

Have you made any progress, mister ptakova, if so, I'd like to try it. Maybe you could just add function that would display health in digits (e.g. 450/700) next to player name that shows when you hover your crosshair over their character.