Object editing widgets

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Jemolk

Re: Object editing widgets

Post by Jemolk »

Not necessarily the most urgent task, but I for one would 110% love to see UI improvements made. If any graphic designers or artists can be found who can make the interfaces more compact, with increased functionality, and so forth, that would be amazing.

By the way. The thing I want to see most from the CS in terms of quality-of-life improvements? Some way of going from an object to all instances of that object. That would be huge. Yes, the filter can do this, but it's so much more intuitive for a non-developer to right-click on something and go to "used by" and pop up a list that you can then click on things in to have those pop up in turn in the relevant windows. Like the vanilla CS does. Also, the filter can be just a bit hellish for non-developers. Something like the tabs in the vanilla CS are really nice that way. That'd be my #2 QOL issue. For direct functionality, I'd almost rate OpenMW-CS as better than vanilla CS, if it weren't for the lack of grid snap, grid rotate, etc. Being able to revert things with the CS rather than needing additional third-party programs is that big a relief for me.

Just my 2 cents, for what they're worth. May not get you very far, but an additional perspective can hardly hurt, can it? :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

You make some good points about QoL improvements. However we are still in a somewhat early stage of development. Many things are still missing. OpenMW-CS has huge holes in its functionality (the grid issues you mentioned are only a small part of it). Therefore QoL improvements are not the things we should focus on right now. We need to get the basics ready first.

Regarding the separate object type list: This could be achieved by adding a sub-menu to the World->Objects menu item that lists all the types and then opens an object subview preloaded with suitable column- and row filters. But again that is a QoL improvement.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Zini wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 08:21 You make some good points about QoL improvements. However we are still in a somewhat early stage of development. Many things are still missing. OpenMW-CS has huge holes in its functionality (the grid issues you mentioned are only a small part of it). Therefore QoL improvements are not the things we should focus on right now. We need to get the basics ready first.

Regarding the separate object type list: This could be achieved by adding a sub-menu to the World->Objects menu item that lists all the types and then opens an object subview preloaded with suitable column- and row filters. But again that is a QoL improvement.
True enough. I only meant if someone is able to do these things but less able to make substantive additions to the editor, it would still be great. As I said myself, it's not exactly urgent. Capability updates can and should be prioritized, but this is something to have on the radar for any prospective developers whose experience lies with UI design. That's all I really meant.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I see your point. Though with limited man power (editor work is just not very popular) it is important that we don't lose focus.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I don't know if it's the right timing, but to prevent others from wasting their time:

I've silently been working on a UI overhaul for OpenMW-CS since January (the main reason why I'm virtually inactive on the forums). My aim is to vastly improve both visuals and functionality of the editor as well as anticipate post-1.0 development. - And it should address most of the points made in this thread.
Don't expect anything testable (or even mergeable) before next year, though. There are many things to consider (and Qt can be a real bitch).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not to rain on your parade, but any large scale redesign (visually or otherwise) is about the last thing we need right now or even in the near future (we are trying to finish things up, not re-doing them). And IMO there is also no need for that. The current design is fine, except that it is very incomplete.

If you have individual improvements or additions in mind, by all means send pull requests/merge requests, so we can look at them.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The current design is fine, except that it is very incomplete.
I'm pretty sure we're a long way from a consensus that the current design qualifies as fine.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The editor is still missing essential parts and an even larger amount of smaller bits and pieces. Of course it sucks in its current state. At this point I would take any criticism of the design with a large grain of salt, unless extremely well founded and argued.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Atahualpa wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 13:30 I've silently been working on a UI overhaul for OpenMW-CS since January (the main reason why I'm virtually inactive on the forums). My aim is to vastly improve both visuals and functionality of the editor as well as anticipate post-1.0 development. - And it should address most of the points made in this thread.
Don't expect anything testable (or even mergeable) before next year, though. There are many things to consider (and Qt can be a real bitch).
Where can I check the code out?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

akortunov wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 17:33 Where can I check the code out?
I haven't uploaded anything to my GitLab repo yet; it's all in my local build. The code is a mess and I've restarted from scratch several times (well, and I haven't touched the code for two months now). Anything in particular you want to discuss, akortunov?