Reset death counter

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Kloppix

Reset death counter

Post by Kloppix »

It’s there a hack to reset a death counter? I even tried to create a function that kept resurrecting and killing the same NPC in order to create a variable overflow.

Maybe editing a save?

Idea for future releases: Implement a SetDeadCount function.
Ravenwing

Re: Reset death counter

Post by Ravenwing »

What are you trying to accomplish by adjusting the death counter?

I'm wondering if there might be a better way to handle it in case other scripts/quests/mods rely on the integrity of that value not being changed. That seems like something that shouldn't be available for editing. Maybe there should be multiple counters like how a car has an odometer. The odometer can't be changed, but you can adjust the trip mileage counter.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

I want to do a Pax Redoran quest which requires Goris the Maggot King is alive. There are some scripts using getdeadcount that I could change, but the problem are the Topics. There are several info condition “Dead Goris the Maggot King = 0”, but I don’t know how many. The OpenMW-CS search function doesn’t work with Topics.

Idea for future releases: Include Topic Infos in the search funcion.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Kloppix wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:50 Idea for future releases: Include Topic Infos in the search funcion.
See https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/4120

Loriel
Chris

Post by Chris »

Kloppix wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:50 I want to do a Pax Redoran quest which requires Goris the Maggot King is alive.
Then don't kill him? I don't think we should add a method to cheat what's clearly intentional behavior, particularly when it can easily lead to timebomb bugs (I don't think the dead count ever decreases in vanilla, so who knows what scripts are doing with the value with the expectation it never goes down). Plus who knows what else could go awry if you went through with killing a particular character then tried to go through a quest that assumed you didn't kill him. GetDeadCount wouldn't necessarily be the only concern.
Kloppix

Post by Kloppix »

Loriel wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 08:02
Kloppix wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:50 Idea for future releases: Include Topic Infos in the search funcion.
See https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/4120

Loriel
Thank you, Loriel. Good to know.
Chris wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 10:51
Kloppix wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 06:50 I want to do a Pax Redoran quest which requires Goris the Maggot King is alive.
Then don't kill him? I don't think we should add a method to cheat what's clearly intentional behavior, particularly when it can easily lead to timebomb bugs (I don't think the dead count ever decreases in vanilla, so who knows what scripts are doing with the value with the expectation it never goes down). Plus who knows what else could go awry if you went through with killing a particular character then tried to go through a quest that assumed you didn't kill him. GetDeadCount wouldn't necessarily be the only concern.
A couple of months too late, sadly. Looking for a solution I found out several people have tried to do a workaround not only for Morrowind, but for TESIV&V and the Fallout games too. The only solution is using a Hexeditor. That’s a big no no for me.

Well, back to the OpenMW-CS I guess.