OpenNuka

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
CaveDoctor

Re: OpenNuka

Post by CaveDoctor »

1. I'm only referring to Fallout 76 getting anyone into trouble.
2. At this point it's not relevant, as it's unreleased.
3. I don't know what Bethesda's model for said game is, if it's subscription based, then it could be a problem.
4. If their business model is based on that, my interest in that thing might have to be dropped.

Basically, if we worked on being able to run Fallout 76 in OpenMW, there might be the potential to run it on a decentralized server, which would be a very awesome thing.
However, it might cause problems with Bethesda.
They can't do anything to us, I suppose you're right.
However, it might be best to leave Fallout 76 alone for a long time.
Essentially it's paranoia over that.

Fallout 4 shouldn't be a problem, as it's not online, I figure it would be more difficult which is why it's on phase 2.
It will be done after phase one.

Fallout 76 is all I'm afraid of touching.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 00:44 You're forgetting a couple of things:
  • Legally, there's nothing Bethesda can do to get rid of OpenMW as we're not actually infringing on their copyright. Everything is legally reverse engineered. In practice, Bethesda could cause a nuisance as they have the budget to send in enough lawyers that a case which should be thrown out immediately would get far enough that someone would have to pay a lawyer. We've come to agreements with Bethesda in the past primarily because it's better to be on their good side rather than because we live in constant fear of them. If we implement BA2 loading, it's not a big enough threat for them to bother caring.
  • Skyrim nears to be in the list twice as there's the regular 32-bit version and the 64-bit Special Edition, which makes some engine tweaks. These include new lighting and shading effects, ESL support, and BA2-but-still-called-BSA support (don't quote me on this one - I'm awaiting confirmation from a more knowledgeable source). This means that although the scripting system is the same, it's most of the work of adding a new game to get the rest working.
Skyrim hits the list twice then, Phase 2a will include Skyrim64 and Fallout 4.
Skyrim64 is shorthand, but now I really want to see an N64 version of that game, lol.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

Phase 2a

Skyrim 64 bit
Fallout 4

Phase 2b

Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
Fallout 76

Phase 2C

Starfield
TES 6

Now, the focus is on Phase 1, a for now.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Hmph. A bold roadmap.

Somehow I doubt you'll get a lot of volunteers.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

I'll look forward to proving you wrong.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

CaveDoctor wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:20 I'll look forward to proving you wrong.
It took a decade to get OpenMW to where it is now, and it had dozens of experienced programmers working on it. You're still learning coding, so you should probably start out with a more humble perspective before you start seeming to us like you're on the bad side of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

davidcernat wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:31
It took a decade to get OpenMW to where it is now, and it had dozens of experienced programmers working on it. You're still learning coding, so you should probably start out with a more humble perspective before you start seeming to us like you're on the bad side of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
You're putting words in my mouth, I never said I was better than anyone.
If you want me gone, ban me from the forum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Let him try, you never know. I'll settle for Oblivion and Skyrim (32-bit) model support main-lined, anything else is just gravy. :)
CaveDoctor wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:36 You're putting words in my mouth, I never said I was better than anyone.
If you want me gone, ban me from the forum.
No one did that. He was warning you that it was an ambitious plan. It is healthy criticism, nothing more.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

davidcernat wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:31

You act like I'm not aware of what it took for this project.
I did my research before coming here.
I have not insulted anyone on this forum, I haven't insulted a programmer, any of which has skills that are vastly superior to mine.
I admit that.
That doesn't mean I don't have ambition, and that doesn't mean I can't see this in a realistic light.
I'm not planning on insulting anyone.
The first stage of this project for me is speculation and figuring out how to code, and then networking with other people.
If I contribute any code in the next 10 years, I don't plan on taking credit for it.
I just want to see the fallout games playable on this, that's it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Dude... seriously, chill out. You're well intentioned and davidcernat is pointing out that you need to be realistic about your scope. No one doubts your excitement about the project. We wish you luck and support you, just don't get carried away. :)