"Permission denied" when starting up the game on android.

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
Malsdurr

"Permission denied" when starting up the game on android.

Post by Malsdurr »

In the past I've installed and played OpenMW on a SamsungA5 and it worked fine, I installed the game the same way on a Huawei p20 Pro made the path "root/sdcard/mw/data-files/" but when I boot up the game I get this message every time;

[boost::filesystem::status: Permission denied: "root/sdcard/mw/data-files/"]

I've allowed all storage permissions for the app so I don't understand what's the issue. Anyone seen this before/know the solution?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: "Permission denied" when starting up the game on android.

Post by psi29a »

Not sure, but I have it running on a P10 so it should work on on these phones with EMUI 8.0
Malsdurr

Post by Malsdurr »

I'm running 8.1, not sure if that would make a difference.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

Getting the same thing ironically on my new Samsung A5. Didn't even realize I had to preface the string with "/root" due to the complete lack of any instructions or documentation. I guess this is a step up from "Morrowind.bsa not found" :(
Malsdurr

Post by Malsdurr »

Solved it - I had forgotten to rename my data files folder to "Data-Files" so the path is /sdcard/morrowind/Data-files/ I shouldn't have added root to the start of the path either.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

So what's the full path you used on your A5? I've tried dozens of strings and different syntax with no luck.
Sonny101

Post by Sonny101 »

if you still have issues with this, I'd suggest downloading an app such as RAR, open it, and at the bottom you can see the exact location so you can just rewrite the complete location of your Morrowind folder to the game from there
on my Nokia 8, it's /storage/emulated/0/Morrowind/Data-Files, but I'm sure Samsung devices have it different so check it out for yourself
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

mikjames wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 18:51 So what's the full path you used on your A5? I've tried dozens of strings and different syntax with no luck.
try /storage/emulated/0/morrowind/data-files/. any existing path should work. if your using your stock file explorer, those have a tendency to mislabel partitions like sdcard 1 and sdcard 2 . this is not how it appears in the root of device. the above has worked on multiple devices when the given path didnt, but it is by no means limited to it. should work as long as the path exist and contains no spacing.
mojoswagger1980

Sonny101 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 22:41 if you still have issues with this, I'd suggest downloading an app such as RAR, open it, and at the bottom you can see the exact location so you can just rewrite the complete location of your Morrowind folder to the game from there
on my Nokia 8, it's /storage/emulated/0/Morrowind/Data-Files, but I'm sure Samsung devices have it different so check it out for yourself
nope samsungs have that path too. the stock browser is garbage and mislabels partitions but that path exists on every android device.
mojoswagger1980

Malsdurr wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 13:47 Solved it - I had forgotten to rename my data files folder to "Data-Files" so the path is /sdcard/morrowind/Data-files/ I shouldn't have added root to the start of the path either.
lol. this (/) at the beggining of a path means the path starts in the root folder. it is how to access it (if rooted) typing cd / in terminal brings you to root folder.