Revamp OpenMW PR content

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
lysol

Re: Revamp OpenMW PR content

Post by lysol »

Great job, you covered even more stuff in your flowchart. Maybe there should be footnotes for some stuff, like the question about MCP features. There should be a link in the footnotes to the list with the implemented MCP features.

Oh and the diamonds, yeah I hate them. I just used them because it's a tradition for some reason to use them for yes/no questions.

Having a GitHub hosted flowchart would be great anyway, so hopefully the flaws of that app isn't too much of a problem.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Great work, Ravenwing and lysol!

Regarding your layout, Ravenwing: Is it possible to vertically align the text boxes of the "middle column"? The current zigzag recudes readability IMO.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

lysol wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 07:11 Great job, you covered even more stuff in your flowchart. Maybe there should be footnotes for some stuff, like the question about MCP features. There should be a link in the footnotes to the list with the implemented MCP features.

Oh and the diamonds, yeah I hate them. I just used them because it's a tradition for some reason to use them for yes/no questions.

Having a GitHub hosted flowchart would be great anyway, so hopefully the flaws of that app isn't too much of a problem.
Lol, that’s funny because I thought you covered more. I think the union of both of ours actually would cover all our cases best. So once I figure out more of the technical details we can figure out which parts to keep.

And I agree about the links. I think on GitLab Markdown will work (fingers crossed) inside the chart as well, so links will hopefully not be a problem to implement!

Also, do we have a comprehensive list of MCP features and their implementation? I know we have a unique features list. I feel like I remember there being one on the wiki. If not, add that to the list of PR content we need.
Atahualpa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 10:24 Great work, Ravenwing and lysol!

Regarding your layout, Ravenwing: Is it possible to vertically align the text boxes of the "middle column"? The current zigzag recudes readability IMO.
I’ll go ahead and do some looking, but based on my experience so far, I’m gonna say probably not :roll:
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ravenwing wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 14:36 Also, do we have a comprehensive list of MCP features and their implementation? I know we have a unique features list. I feel like I remember there being one on the wiki. If not, add that to the list of PR content we need.
When I was overhauling our wiki in terms of mod compatibility, I created pages for MCP and MGE (XE) and expanded our MWSE page as well. Other members have since added to these pages:
MCP
MGE (XE)
MWSE

Our Features page is a bit outdated for sure, but I plan to revive it by some means or other.

Ravenwing wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 14:36
Atahualpa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 10:24 Great work, Ravenwing and lysol!

I’ll go ahead and do some looking, but based on my experience so far, I’m gonna say probably not :roll:
If not, are there any alternatives? I mean we could just use LaTeX or Inkscape - basically, any freeware will do to ensure others can work on the document as well.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

So I'll put this list somewhere more easily accessible (probably the wiki, like our outreach page) but here's what I came up with on the train today.

Existing PR Stuff
  • FAQs
  • Official Docs
  • FAQ videos
  • Media page (and up-to-date links!)
  • Web presence (and follow-through)
  • MCP features list
  • MGE-XE features list
  • MWSE features list
  • Mod compatibility (is this somewhat self sustaining?)
  • <Translations> (kind of a catch all, because everything needs translating
New PR Stuff
  • flowchart
  • "big features" comparison
  • major features progress/updates
  • tutorial videos
  • press releases
Can anyone think of anything else we need to keep track of to make sure it's updated? I'm assuming changelogs are part of the release, but perhaps we should link to them as well just to make it easy to find from the "PR page"
Atahualpa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 16:42 When I was overhauling our wiki in terms of mod compatibility, I created pages for MCP and MGE (XE) and expanded our MWSE page as well. Other members have since added to these pages:
MCP
MGE (XE)
MWSE

Our Features page is a bit outdated for sure, but I plan to revive it by some means or other.
Those are exactly what I was thinking of! Thank you!
Atahualpa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 16:42 If not, are there any alternatives? I mean we could just use LaTeX or Inkscape - basically, any freeware will do to ensure others can work on the document as well.
Certainly, if this doesn't work out then it really doesn't matter what we use as we'd lose the benefit of having it built into our wiki/docs automatically. In which case I say just go with whatever the person making it is most familiar with. Philosophically, Inkscape would be better than any of the other third party stuff mentioned so far. I'd like to stay away from Latex because I find it so verbose and you have to have an environment set up for it, but the plugin TikZ seems to solve all the things that have been pissing me off about mermaid.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Inkscape is probably the best way to do the flowchart. Cross platform foss and so on. Anyone could help out.

I could try making a version in Inkscape later today. Or did you want to do it Ravenwing? I don't mind either way.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ravenwing wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 05:55 [...] I'd like to stay away from Latex because I find it so verbose and you have to have an environment set up for it, but the plugin TikZ seems to solve all the things that have been pissing me off about mermaid.
I mentioned LaTeX because I work with it literally every day during lectures. Since I study eletrical engineering, I've created a comprehensive LaTeX setup for my own purposes - including TikZ and stuff for drawing electrical circuits or block diagrams; flow charts aren't a problem either. LaTeX could be a good choice because it is very clean, allows precise placing, and is easily maintainable once you have your code base.

But if it suits you, let's stick with Inkscape for the time being.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Let me see what I can do inside GitLab first. If I’m not done in a week, let’s move on to Inkscape. That sounds super handy Atahualpa, but this way anyone can update the file in case we’re not around/too busy to update ourselves. I know Latex is quite common, but only among the technical crowd.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Ravenwing wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 05:59 Second draft: uses squares and compacts everything nicely. This breaks flowchart convention, but I don't care if you don't ;)
Would it be possible to move the labels for those lines? For the "What operating system does your computer use?", the "Windows" choice is immediately visible, but you have to scroll down a fair amount in order to see the "macOS, Linux/GNU" choice. It would be much easier to read if the two were vertically aligned.

Also, regarding the question "Do you have to play with fancy graphical effects such as shadows, distant land, etc?", doesn't OpenMW support distant land? Should that be changed to distant statics?

Finally, "Do you have any specific mods that you have to play with?" is the only one where there is a "Yes!" response (with exclamation mark) rather than a simple "Yes".
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ravenwing wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 14:33 Let me see what I can do inside GitLab first. If I’m not done in a week, let’s move on to Inkscape. That sounds super handy Atahualpa, but this way anyone can update the file in case we’re not around/too busy to update ourselves. I know Latex is quite common, but only among the technical crowd.
Agreed. (Although the "technical crowd" argument is kinda funny considering OpenMW's overall nerd factor. :ugeek: )
Thunderforge wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 15:53 Would it be possible to move the labels for those lines? For the "What operating system does your computer use?", the "Windows" choice is immediately visible, but you have to scroll down a fair amount in order to see the "macOS, Linux/GNU" choice. It would be much easier to read if the two were vertically aligned.
+1
Thunderforge wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 15:53 Also, regarding the question "Do you have to play with fancy graphical effects such as shadows, distant land, etc?", doesn't OpenMW support distant land? Should that be changed to distant statics?
Definitely!
Thunderforge wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 15:53 Finally, "Do you have any specific mods that you have to play with?" is the only one where there is a "Yes!" response (with exclamation mark) rather than a simple "Yes".
Yes, we (= Ravenwing :P ) should remove that exclamation mark. The "No, other stuff matters too", "No, not necessarily", and "Yes, must have those" responses also reduce readability. We should try to minimise the amount of text in our flow chart - or, at least, avoid unnecessary lines.