Revamp OpenMW PR content

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: Revamp OpenMW PR content

Post by raevol »

lysol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 07:00 Any suggestions? I mean, layout-wise, this is pretty much what I had in mind.
Can you back-of-the-napkin a more vertical layout and see if it would work? Scrolling up and down is natural on devices, scrolling side to side isn't always. But don't put a lot of effort into it, because I may be completely off and it may not work.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 07:00 Anyway, another thing, we had a short discussion on IRC about maybe having a list of selected good articles from the "press" about OpenMW. The discussion came up after a fan on IRC had made a very long a thurough article in French on a French Linux site. Maybe the list could be in the media page?
We already have a Web Presence wiki page - which is most likely very outdated. We could move the contents to our Media page and update them.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I've been updating other pages like the Downloads and FAQ page. If you want me to make changes to the Media page, just tell me what you what it to say and I'll be happy to be the one to change it (unless someone else gets to it first).
lysol

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 10:38 Can you back-of-the-napkin a more vertical layout and see if it would work? Scrolling up and down is natural on devices, scrolling side to side isn't always. But don't put a lot of effort into it, because I may be completely off and it may not work.
Yes, vertical is better. It is also harder, but I'll try.

Any suggestions to what I wrote? Any bubbles missing? Anything not clear enough?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thunderforge wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 17:22 I've been updating other pages like the Downloads and FAQ page. If you want me to make changes to the Media page, just tell me what you what it to say and I'll be happy to be the one to change it (unless someone else gets to it first).
I'll give it some thought and report back to you.
raevol

Post by raevol »

lysol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 18:11 Any suggestions to what I wrote? Any bubbles missing? Anything not clear enough?
No, I think you did a really good job of covering all the cases. Someone else may see something I don't, but I think it's solid!
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

lysol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 07:00 Yes, I also think it might be useful. I'll make a good one in inDesign or something when we decide this is finished. Any suggestions? I mean, layout-wise, this is pretty much what I had in mind.
My sketch was on vertical A4 paper, so should work fine. It was almost the same as lysol’s so we’ve probably covered most use cases. Meant to upload something this weekend, but got distracted playing the Stardew Valley co-op update :D

If we have to handcraft a flowchart, I would suggest Illustrator over InDesign. Illustrator does simple graphics easier since InDesign is more meant for published documents and has a bit of extra document setup we don’t need. But if you’re more familiar with InDesign then it’s probably easier.
Atahualpa wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:23
lysol wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 07:00 Anyway, another thing, we had a short discussion on IRC about maybe having a list of selected good articles from the "press" about OpenMW. The discussion came up after a fan on IRC had made a very long a thurough article in French on a French Linux site. Maybe the list could be in the media page?
We already have a Web Presence wiki page - which is most likely very outdated. We could move the contents to our Media page and update them.
Hmm, this is something we need to address in this thread as well. Perhaps we need a list of PR related content so that we know where to check every release or two to make sure everything is still up to date. We can make the best graphics and FAQs in the world, but they aren’t useful to anyone if they’re out of date! I’ll try and put together a list tonight and y’all can let me know what I’m missing!
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

We already have such a list :)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I meant a list of PR material that we can check to make sure actual content is updated. That’s just who’s in charge of outreach for specific sites.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

So didn't get to the list, but here's what I came up with for a quick draft and proof of concept of the chart using mermaid. This would allow us to keep it in our GitLab wiki and not have to deal with formatting to a certain degree. Hopefully this would allow us to link to other relevant information, like a list of what MCP features we've implemented.

First draft: using diamonds for choice based blurbs. Found it wasted too much space.

Second draft: uses squares and compacts everything nicely. This breaks flowchart convention, but I don't care if you don't ;)

Some things I found for those interested in trying their hand at mermaid. The order you place line objects in matters! If you're careful you can avoid crossing lines by some creative adjustments in the code order. The most annoying thing is there appears to be no native support for text wrapping! If you look at my code you'll see tons of line breaks, which I find to be unacceptable. Still looking to see if there is a better way of approaching this. The worst part is that the SVG exporter doesn't support most line breaks and the editor doesn't support the one's that do! Potentially this won't be a problem on GitLab where WYSIWYG, but overall I find the language implementation to be extremely sloppy. Luckily, I don't think we'll have to deal with this often once it's published.