[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
KeepBotting

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by KeepBotting »

pianobadger wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 23:40
pianobadger wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 20:09
Pelayo wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 14:59 Just tested it in my 5.1 intel tablet, seems to load the initial cell perfectly (the ship in vanilla startup), then crashes when exiting the ship hatch. Same thing happens when using two different alternate start mods (which I tried just in case there was something wrong with the seyda neen cell and my tablet). So it happens when changing cells apparently. Other than that, I'm amazed at how fast it seems to be while it works.
I just tried it on a Kindle Fire running Fire OS 5.6.1.0 and the same exact thing happened to me. Everything went smoothly until I tried to exit the ship hatch at which point it crashed. Also, I am not using the steam version.
I tried again with the steam version and It crashed upon trying to start the game. I deleted the video files and after that I was able to load the game but it crashed again on trying to leave the ship. Lowering view distance had no effect.

I noticed in the log file that a lot of weather related fallback values were not found, but it seemed to work past that. The last entry after unloading the Imperial Prison Ship cell was loading cell -3, -10. I opened the CS and noticed that is not the correct cell. It should be loading Cell -2,-9. I have no idea why it is trying to load the wrong cell or whether that is the cause of the crash. Not sure what to try next.
Unfortunately, contrary to my previous post, I experience a crash upon exiting the ship as well. Everything runs fine up until that point. Have not looked into it yet. Could you upload your log file somewhere? I will grab a log tonight and post it as well. If they contain the same error, perhaps we can devise a solution that will fix the crash for both of us.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

Hi. So you deleted the cutscenes and it loads! thats great! now you can acces the console. bring up your keyboard and hit tilde (~) the correct syntaxs are in the construction set help file. it was intended as a debugging tool but can easily be used to salvage your situation as it can move your character to whatever cell you want (theoretically). additionally i wonder if a save file could be imported. Just outside the census building would be a decent spot. can you play on pc to this point ? i could make it for you but you will get an error message if you do not have the same patches as i have loaded when it is made. that might not affect playability but would persist annoyingly everytime you loaded the game. i guess i can copy my loading argument and attempt the above in a "vanilla" enviroment. i made multiple data-files folders so it can be done with just a few edits in my openmw.cfg . Idk, some people dont have pc access and since this is an android aop i dont feel like that should be a pre-req so id be down to help in this matter if you are one of the people without access. i really think viewdistance is important but we need to get you passed the beggining before we fix anything else, besides i know you will be able to see the difference underwater, so ill hold off on that til your clear the census building . let me know what you want done. the fact that it loads is a pretty good indicator that its functional it just needs to be tuned. is your J7 one of the arm exynos chipsets or qualcoms snapdragon? im not familiar with the line but i have examples of both though my exynos example is pretty dated (note 2) . ill dig it out and see if it can run this .
mojoswagger1980

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:08 Hi. So you deleted the cutscenes and it loads! thats great! now you can acces the console. bring up your keyboard and hit tilde (~) the correct syntaxs are in the construction set help file. it was intended as a debugging tool but can easily be used to salvage your situation as it can move your character to whatever cell you want (theoretically). additionally i wonder if a save file could be imported. Just outside the census building would be a decent spot. can you play on pc to this point ? i could make it for you but you will get an error message if you do not have the same patches as i have loaded when it is made. that might not affect playability but would persist annoyingly everytime you loaded the game. i guess i can copy my loading argument and attempt the above in a "vanilla" enviroment. i made multiple data-files folders so it can be done with just a few edits in my openmw.cfg . Idk, some people dont have pc access and since this is an android aop i dont feel like that should be a pre-req so id be down to help in this matter if you are one of the people without access. i really think viewdistance is important but we need to get you passed the beggining before we fix anything else, besides i know you will be able to see the difference underwater, so ill hold off on that til your clear the census building . let me know what you want done. the fact that it loads is a pretty good indicator that its functional it just needs to be tuned. is your J7 one of the arm exynos chipsets or qualcoms snapdragon? im not familiar with the line but i have examples of both though my exynos example is pretty dated (note 2) . ill dig it out and see if it can run this . oh and while checking the log was a great move i want to in noway discourage, the errors involving the various fallback archives are present in my log file as well and the assets they contain are in play despite the failure to find the .bsa file.
mojoswagger1980

KeepBotting wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 23:15
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 19:53 *snip*
Thanks for your help. After deleting cinematics the game is running flawlessly for me, at more than acceptable fps too. For reference, I went into the Videos directory of my Morrowind installation, and deleted all the .bik files.

Here's a picture: Image

I'll play through it as I have time and report any bugs back here. Many thanks!
Thats fantastic! where you the pixel 2 or the J7 or other? this comes up quite a bit and maybe a device compatibility list is in order as it seems to affect about half and thats only the people who bothered to report. how many just gave up without trying the forum?
mojoswagger1980

KeepBotting wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:21
pianobadger wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 23:40
pianobadger wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 20:09
Pelayo wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 14:59 Just tested it in my 5.1 intel tablet, seems to load the initial cell perfectly (the ship in vanilla startup), then crashes when exiting the ship hatch. Same thing happens when using two different alternate start mods (which I tried just in case there was something wrong with the seyda neen cell and my tablet). So it happens when changing cells apparently. Other than that, I'm amazed at how fast it seems to be while it works.
I just tried it on a Kindle Fire running Fire OS 5.6.1.0 and the same exact thing happened to me. Everything went smoothly until I tried to exit the ship hatch at which point it crashed. Also, I am not using the steam version.
I tried again with the steam version and It crashed upon trying to start the game. I deleted the video files and after that I was able to load the game but it crashed again on trying to leave the ship. Lowering view distance had no effect.

I noticed in the log file that a lot of weather related fallback values were not found, but it seemed to work past that. The last entry after unloading the Imperial Prison Ship cell was loading cell -3, -10. I opened the CS and noticed that is not the correct cell. It should be loading Cell -2,-9. I have no idea why it is trying to load the wrong cell or whether that is the cause of the crash. Not sure what to try next.
Unfortunately, contrary to my previous post, I experience a crash upon exiting the ship as well. Everything runs fine up until that point. Have not looked into it yet. Could you upload your log file somewhere? I will grab a log tonight and post it as well. If they contain the same error, perhaps we can devise a solution that will fix the crash for both of us.
it should actually be loading 12 adjacent cells (default minumum value of engine. you can cueck in the default-settings.cfg file what yours is set at. i actually think its the speed at which the cell isloading thats crashing your games not what its loading. but thats not really an error that can be logged.i imagine it would just list the last item as fail when really the assets just werent loaded all the way yet. that would explain why somtimes the game will crash you can reload do the exact same thing and it will work fine, if the asset was unreadable or corrupt you should always get the same result. the fact is its damn near impossible to reproduce a crash exactly like its happened before. i realize your sitting there going it does crash at the same place, but i assure you though it can be a bitch, its passable. the fact of the matter is if it loads it can made to work. how many processors are in an amazon fire? its a quad core right ? i wonder if it just cant handle the current thread load (it says its 1 but 1 indicates 4 (1 thread for each of the "groups" it classifies all load requirements into) there is an option to disable or add threads. additionaly it also pre-instances all items by default in a completely seperate thread, im thinking its putting to much load without enough buffer and it boggs down the engine til it crashes. androids kernel panic utility could be the culprit thats responsible for this also. the device could be killing the app and likely is if its triggering an oom scenario and this is not disabled. by default it would kill whatever task, process, or service that caused the memory leak. rooted devices can disable these features .
mojoswagger1980

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:25
KeepBotting wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 23:15
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 19:53 *snip*
Thanks for your help. After deleting cinematics the game is running flawlessly for me, at more than acceptable fps too. For reference, I went into the Videos directory of my Morrowind installation, and deleted all the .bik files.

Here's a picture: Image

I'll play through it as I have time and report any bugs back here. Many thanks!
Thats fantastic! where you the pixel 2 or the J7 or other? this comes up quite a bit and maybe a device compatibility list is in order in this regard as it seems to affect about half and thats only the people who bothered to report. how many just gave up without trying the forum?
pianobadger

Post by pianobadger »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:08 Hi. So you deleted the cutscenes and it loads! thats great! now you can acces the console. bring up your keyboard and hit tilde (~) the correct syntaxs are in the construction set help file. it was intended as a debugging tool but can easily be used to salvage your situation as it can move your character to whatever cell you want (theoretically). additionally i wonder if a save file could be imported. Just outside the census building would be a decent spot. can you play on pc to this point ? i could make it for you but you will get an error message if you do not have the same patches as i have loaded when it is made. that might not affect playability but would persist annoyingly everytime you loaded the game. i guess i can copy my loading argument and attempt the above in a "vanilla" enviroment. i made multiple data-files folders so it can be done with just a few edits in my openmw.cfg . Idk, some people dont have pc access and since this is an android aop i dont feel like that should be a pre-req so id be down to help in this matter if you are one of the people without access. i really think viewdistance is important but we need to get you passed the beggining before we fix anything else, besides i know you will be able to see the difference underwater, so ill hold off on that til your clear the census building . let me know what you want done. the fact that it loads is a pretty good indicator that its functional it just needs to be tuned. is your J7 one of the arm exynos chipsets or qualcoms snapdragon? im not familiar with the line but i have examples of both though my exynos example is pretty dated (note 2) . ill dig it out and see if it can run this .
I started a game on PC and put the save file where I expected it would go but apparently that is not where this app keeps them. Could you please show me where this Android port puts save files? Thanks.
Muramasa66

Post by Muramasa66 »

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/share/openmw/saves
mojoswagger1980

pianobadger wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 18:46
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:08 Hi. So you deleted the cutscenes and it loads! thats great! now you can acces the console. bring up your keyboard and hit tilde (~) the correct syntaxs are in the construction set help file. it was intended as a debugging tool but can easily be used to salvage your situation as it can move your character to whatever cell you want (theoretically). additionally i wonder if a save file could be imported. Just outside the census building would be a decent spot. can you play on pc to this point ? i could make it for you but you will get an error message if you do not have the same patches as i have loaded when it is made. that might not affect playability but would persist annoyingly everytime you loaded the game. i guess i can copy my loading argument and attempt the above in a "vanilla" enviroment. i made multiple data-files folders so it can be done with just a few edits in my openmw.cfg . Idk, some people dont have pc access and since this is an android aop i dont feel like that should be a pre-req so id be down to help in this matter if you are one of the people without access. i really think viewdistance is important but we need to get you passed the beggining before we fix anything else, besides i know you will be able to see the difference underwater, so ill hold off on that til your clear the census building . let me know what you want done. the fact that it loads is a pretty good indicator that its functional it just needs to be tuned. is your J7 one of the arm exynos chipsets or qualcoms snapdragon? im not familiar with the line but i have examples of both though my exynos example is pretty dated (note 2) . ill dig it out and see if it can run this .
I started a game on PC and put the save file where I expected it would go but apparently that is not where this app keeps them. Could you please show me where this Android port puts save files? Thanks.
below is correct . i would try the console personally and move to the adjacent cell.
pianobadger

Post by pianobadger »

Muramasa66 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 00:28 /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/share/openmw/saves
I moved the save to that folder, but the app still didn't recognize my save. I don't know whether OpenMW saves are different at all or if I need to edit the config file to tell it where saves are located since it has never made a save of its own before. Also, I tried using console commands to place myself on top of the ship and that also resulted in a crash.