[post-1.0] Scripting enhancemnts

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
ezzetabi

Re: [post-1.0] Scripting enhancemnts

Post by ezzetabi »

Well... it is enough adding a keywork that Morrowind does not have to enable a different language.

E.g.

Code: Select all

morrowind scripting 

braindead mode off

openmw scripting
And if openmw will use an existing language... Python.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Heres something, scripting that can effect NPCs globally. Such as detecting what race they are, the ability to add things to inventories upon death, etc. As of now, you can only have one script effect an NPC. Obviously there could be conflicts, but you could probably fix alot of that by having scripts ranked as more important to least important. Anyway, just another idea.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Being able to attach an arbitrary number of scripts to an NPC would be kind of nice. All too often there are mod conflicts because two mods need to attach their own scripts to an NPC. A way to add more scripts without removing existing ones would help with that problem.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Tarius wrote:Heres something, scripting that can effect NPCs globally. Such as detecting what race they are, the ability to add things to inventories upon death, etc. As of now, you can only have one script effect an NPC. Obviously there could be conflicts, but you could probably fix alot of that by having scripts ranked as more important to least important. Anyway, just another idea.
Yeah, but who is going to rank that? Perhaps some kind of semi-official master database, much like MLOX/BOSS?
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Okulo wrote:
Tarius wrote:Heres something, scripting that can effect NPCs globally. Such as detecting what race they are, the ability to add things to inventories upon death, etc. As of now, you can only have one script effect an NPC. Obviously there could be conflicts, but you could probably fix alot of that by having scripts ranked as more important to least important. Anyway, just another idea.
Yeah, but who is going to rank that? Perhaps some kind of semi-official master database, much like MLOX/BOSS?
Well actually, I think it would be ranked like this:(from most to least important)

First, all scripts added by esm that remain unchanged by esp activate first, this is so the original MW scripts always take presidence.Then below:
1. Scripts directly on an NPC from same mod(it would be good to take this into account in the editor itself, have a script list available and allow the modder to specify in what order they activate, otherwise if none is specified, they activate in the order they are added to the NPC)
2. Scripts directly on NPC from different mods according to load order(mods that load last have presidence as has become the custom; so with #1, that would be the mod that loads last)
3. Global scripts from the same mod(same kind of thing as #1)
4. Global scripts from different mods(same kind of thing as #2)

Now, you could perhaps do it differently and have globals counted over those directly added to the NPC, but I think this would be unwise because of all the scripts that already exist.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

I'm know little to nothing in regards to scripting, but I would like to add in my two cents. Zini, if compatibility for existing mods/modders is such a big deal, why not set up a poll in the Bethsoft Forums? Let it run for a month or so, gather feed back from the users. Not everyone frequents this forum and if the users themselves end up preferring LUA, why would you not comply?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Would not be easy to implement (we would have to do a good part of the work twice, since I am absolutely not going to drop the original language) and it would lead OpenMW into a direction that I am not willing to go.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

My vote for Lua too. It's much more convenient to use, more promising, more versatile, a lot of people know it.
Always hated to write scripts in TESCS, because of awful syntax. For example, Skyrim's Papyrus much more similiar to Lua.
I think that community would be very happy, if will appear a comfortable scripting language.
taknamay

Post by taknamay »

Would a source-to-source compiler be of interest to anyone? That gives you the syntax benefits for those who prefer Lua, but certainly not the performance benefits (given there were any). It keeps all the language-specific code outside of the engine, though.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

That would be fiendishly complex to implement.