My OpenMW doesnt finish the installation

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
joshynorth

My OpenMW doesnt finish the installation

Post by joshynorth »

Hi everyone, im new on the forums and so i am on OpenMW in general, but when installing the program i already got a problem.

(Before anything, my operative system is Windows Vista, 32 bits and well, a bit mediocre specs, but runs original Morrowind good alltogether... and sorry for the bad english)

I download the last version of OpenMW, from the Downloads section on obviously this page, and basically just go to the Windows part and then entered to Github... anyways, after downloading, i opened the setup, and everything was going well... until it was almost over, but the bar stopped for some reason at file with this direction (C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe"/q) exactly like that, but... the installation never ends! I thought i just had to leave it for a bit longer, but i left it for a complete 2 hours straight and still was like the same! Then, i decided to look on the processes on the Task Manager, and found a process called "vcredist_x86.." but it was pretty much Microsoft Visual C++ 2015. And i closed, then, the setup automatically told me the installation was finished, but when i wanted to go to the OpenMW directory to open the launcher, this error appeared: (I cant put it completely cause is in spanish, but it told me the application suffered an error to launch, because the wild "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll" wasnt found.

Please help! I dont know how to solve this issue, and i dont know if its because my operative system or something else...
AnyOldName3

Re: My OpenMW doesnt finish the installation

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The VC redist installer (that you called pretty much Microsoft Visual C++ 2015) is what installs a bunch of DLLs, such as the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll one you were missing. Running it again should add all the DLLs to the right places.
joshynorth

Post by joshynorth »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:17 The VC redist installer (that you called pretty much Microsoft Visual C++ 2015) is what installs a bunch of DLLs, such as the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll one you were missing. Running it again should add all the DLLs to the right places.
Im sorry for saying it in this way, but i dont think you understood the problem (Im not saying your stupid neither insulting you, in fact i really thank you for the help...) but the problem is in fact the Setup Installer, because the installation goes completely okay as it should... but then the last file to install comes... and it freezes, well, it stops to say like this, cause you still can click on the window, but not cancel it or close it, and the file that makes this happens to the setup has this direction: (C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe"/q) But when i see other installing this program in videos or guides, that file never appears, besides, it makes the .exe loos like a folder... weird. But the thing is that the setup never continues after that, it looks like is installing that file... but not mattering how much you left it like that, it will never end. It will only end if you close the Microsoft Visual in the Task Manager, and well what you are telling me is helpful to understand why that is happening, but its basically impossible at this point to install the program.

P.D: I tried installing the other OpenMW version, the 0.42.0 and it worked perfectly, but i still want to use the newer version.. and as another side-note with non importance, i have a friend that tried to install the program, and it installed perfectly without my problem, but when trying to open it, it appeared my same error. (He has a 64 bits pc) And he installed the 32 bits version of the same newer build, and it worked completely. Also, i dont think is really a trouble but maybe having 32 bits can be atrouble?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is it definitely

Code: Select all

C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe"/q
and not

"C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe" /q
(which has a space between the executable path and the "/q" argument)?

What happens at this installation step is not the copying of this file (as it's already been copied at that point) but instead, it's running it, and it's being given a "/q" argument (which is separated from the executable name with a space) to tell it not to make a window appear so you can click next a bunch of times. Are you saying that the installer hasn't copied C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe before getting to this step?
joshynorth

Post by joshynorth »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:52 Is it definitely

C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe"/q
and not

"C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe" /q
(which has a space between the executable path and the "/q" argument)?

What happens at this installation step is not the copying of this file (as it's already been copied at that point) but instead, it's running it, and it's being given a "/q" argument (which is separated from the executable name with a space) to tell it not to make a window appear so you can click next a bunch of times. Are you saying that the installer hasn't copied C:/Program Files/OpenMW 0.43.0/redist/vcredist_86.exe before getting to this step?
I... dont really know how to answer the last question, from the last 3 times i tried to install this new version of OpenMW and i have getting that weird file (Im not refering to the Visual C++ installer, im refering to the /q thing that i dont understand what it this) but im kinda sure i didnt see vcredist_86.exe being installed before) and i tried something, after installing i thought i could solve the problem by going to the redist folder inside of the OpenMW folder in the program files directory, but when i open the setup tells me i have already installed that version, and i can only Repair it, and Uninstall it... but when i try to Repair it, it stays at the start completely grey, and never do anything... i really dont know waht to do.

Edit: just for testing, i tried to uninstall and install again, and i pretty much discovered that indeed vcredist_86.exe does install before getting to the step, other thing to say, is when getting to the /q file step of the setup, for a moment (like 3 seconds or less so) the cursor enters the loading time, and then proceeds to still do the /q file
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

/q isn't a file. It's a command-line option when running the executable. In this case, all it means is that when the redist executable is run it's being told not to make its own window.

My current guess is that at some point some other software you use has installed the redist but it's been broken somehow. I'd run the redist file from your OpenMW folder and uninstall it (although you might need to do this through Windows' Programs and Features menu instead) and then reinstall it.