OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
akortunov

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by akortunov »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 May 2018, 23:34 The Windows builds are now built in Release mode, so have all the optimisations that Microsoft recommends. The only change is that they're Unity builds, which could theoretically break things, but right now, doesn't seem to.
If you write about PR builds, I disabled unity mode for AppVeyor.
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 May 2018, 23:34 The Windows builds are now built in Release mode, so have all the optimisations that Microsoft recommends. The only change is that they're Unity builds, which could theoretically break things, but right now, doesn't seem to.
Does that mean that we can test 0.44.0 right away? Where can we download it?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you go to the main github page, there should be a button that says AppVeyor Passing. If you click on that, there should be a button that says Artifacts, and that should take you to a file that can be extracted and run.

if you want to test a PR out, then at the bottom, where it says that all checks have passed, if you show all checks, you should be able to get to the equivalent AppVeyor page for that PR. Note that not all of these have been updated since the last change, so some will require you to copy the DLL files from your 0.43 install and some more won't have artifacts at all.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Here is an update on the terrain editing situation: Looks like it will take a bit of time before we are going to make more progress on this feature. Therefore we are going to release what we have. Thanks to unelsson's tireless work we have a fully functional terrain texture editing feature (unless we have missed a critical bug in our tests, which is still a possibility considering the overall complexity of terrain texture editing).
What is missing are functions that make texture editing intuitive and convenient to use. We should probably communicate the state of the feature in the release notes or otherwise. Maybe including a short description what is still missing? I'll leave the decision on how to handle this to our PR guys.
Hopefully the editing video will provide enough instructions, so that people don't swarm the forum with questions on how to use terrain texture editing.

Unless there are strong objections I will start the RC phase on Monday. I don't think that it is a good idea to wait for shadows to be merged. This has already been a long release and we have plenty of features. Keep in mind that releases aren't a finite resource. If two weeks after the 0.44.0 release we decide we want to release shadows nothing is going to stop us from doing that.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

My only question with that timeline is if we will be able to make a release video in the near future. I think we’d want to avoid a situation that we previously had (with 0.43?) where there were several months between “we have tagged a release” and “announcement of new release comes out.”

If our video creators are not prepared to do a release video at this time, then I would rather hold up 0.44 until they are.
lysol

Post by lysol »

I'll PM Atahualpa and see how life is going for him. He is not as active now as he was a year ago, I don't think he visits the forum daily (anymore).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I'm here and ready to start producing the release videos. Btw, since when do we have more than one video creator?^^

I've only been loosely following the forums in the last half year. To spare me unnecessary work, kindly help me with these things please:
1. What are the more important and/or best visualisable changes in this release?
2. What has been done on the editor's side? So far, I've identified issues #2694, #2897, #3278, #3343, and #3870. Any more changes under the hood? On GitHub, I've read something regarding a QDoubleSpinBox with more decimals for Instances' rotation fields some time ago.
3. @Zini: You said that the terrain texture editing isn't yet convenient to use. Of course, I'd like to address that in the video, but what is the current work flow and how should this feature work in the future? Any forum threads, bugtracker comments or GitHub discussions regarding that issue?
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

1. and 2. New editor icons, and texture painting of the terrain! :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Lamoot wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 15:24 1. and 2. New editor icons, and texture painting of the terrain! :)
Of course, Lamoot, of course. How could I forget your magnificent icon set!
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

It was such an obvious self- promotion! :D