Help: Finding morrowind.esm on Mac

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Confusedman

Help: Finding morrowind.esm on Mac

Post by Confusedman »

Hi guys, new here. I came down with the flu and I've needed something to do for the week since I can't leave my room, so I'm trying to get back into TES III GOTY. I am not very computer-savvy, but I have followed the instructions pretty closely and yet I can't get Installation Wizard to locate a downloaded .esm file on my Mac. Hoping someone can help me cause I've been trying to get this all day and I can't give up now.

I forced steam to download it via a folderless file named appmanifest_22320.acf. I started with this:

"AppState"
{
"AppID" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"StateFlags" "1026"
}

I placed this into the appmanifest file. The file sits in steam apps with the other appmanifest files. I opened steam and it had an error that wouldn't finish the download. I went back and did some troubleshooting. I closed steam and deleted the appmanifest file. I then created a new one with the same name and placed this inside instead:

"AppState"
{
"appid" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"name" "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"
"StateFlags" "4"
"installdir" "Morrowind"

[other entries]
}

When I reopened Steam, TES III had apparently downloaded. It showed up in my Steam library with the white lettering that corresponds to downloaded games (as opposed to grey). Now, here is where I am having issues. The first thing is that I cannot find any folders or files corresponding to TES III anywhere in Finder. Supposedly I should be able to find the Morrowind.esm file in Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Data Files/ but nothing is showing up there (I can't even find the folder 'Data Files' within the 'common'). One thing I noticed, there is a folder in steam apps that is named 'downloading', and the only thing it contains is an empty folder labeled '22320' (well, and a .DS_Store too), which is the steam ID for Morrowind--I don't know if this is important or not, but I'm trying to provide all relevant information. The other issue is that, even if TES III did download to my computer correctly (and I can't tell if it has), when I run the installation wizard I can't locate any files corresponding to TES III. Frankly I can't even find a way to access my steam files in the installation wizard. It's as if when I start the installation Wizard, it opens up a different Finder than the one I was using before, and I can't find a way to access Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/ through the Installation Wizard.

So basically, I need to know if I've done something wrong when tricking steam to download Morrowind, as I can't find a .esm file anywhere. If I have downloaded it correctly, how do I find the file through the instillation wizard? Would it be easier for me to just start all over again and see if something goes right this time?

Sorry that's such a long post, but I've literally been working on this for the last 10 hours and I'm not sure what else to do. I was even going to try and download the program through wine but I'm not quite sure how that program works either. If anyone can help my out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and if there is anymore information someone needs to help me solve the problem, please let me know.
Confusedman

Re: Help: Finding morrowind.esm on Mac

Post by Confusedman »

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've been trying some other ways to get it to work. I realized that I made a mistake in deleting the first appmanifest_22320.acf file. I started over and ran in it normally until I hit the 'DISK ERROR' in steam downloads. Then I went back and opened the appmanifest and changed the "State Flags to "4" and the "installdir" to "Morrowind," so that my appmanifest_22320.acf now looks like this:

"AppState"
{
"appid" "22320"
"Universe" "1"
"name" "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"
"StateFlags" “4”
"installdir" “Morrowind”
"LastUpdated" "0"
"UpdateResult" "11"
"SizeOnDisk" "0"
"buildid" "0"
"LastOwner" "76561198064318042"
"BytesToDownload" "0"
"BytesDownloaded" "0"
"AutoUpdateBehavior" "0"
"AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning" "0"
"UserConfig"
{
}
"InstalledDepots"
{
}
"MountedDepots"
{
}
}

The only thing is that now when I open steam back up the game hasn't downloaded, it just turns back to the grey lettering (instead of the light blue that says it's trying to download). I'll keep trying but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Try changing the stateflags line back from 4 to 1026. I notice that my other downloaded games have a stateflags value of 4, so I think that means "Downloaded".
Confusedman

Post by Confusedman »

Thanks for the response. I've actually tried that too, but to no avail. One of the things I've noticed is that after the initial attempt to download with State Flags at 1026, if you reopen the .afc the State Flags turn to 1538. Changing the Flags to 1026 or 4 seems to cancel the download, and if you reenter 1538 later it remains undownloaded.
JohnBlack

Post by JohnBlack »

Just use steamcmd and download the game.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

In short for terminal:
make dir

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/steamcmd
go there

cd ~/steamcmd
download steamcmd and unpack

curl -sqL "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_osx.tar.gz" | tar zxvf -
run steamcmd

./steamcmd.sh
then you will go into steamcmd, so login

login yourloginhere
make it so it will download the game into the same dir

force_install_dir ./morrowind/
change platform to windows

@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows
download the game

app_update 22320
and thats it, you game will be in morrowind folder after download
Confusedman

Post by Confusedman »

I was trying to work with SteamCMD but that's pretty foreign territory to me so I couldn't get it figured out. I'm currently downloading the game through steam via PlayOnMac. I think this one is finally gonna work. After it downloads I just need to find where my C-drive is hidden in Finder. If it fails again I'll try to use SteamCMD. Thanks for the help.