Newb here. Is this the correct place to ask for some help setting up a fog shader?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
coolgun

Newb here. Is this the correct place to ask for some help setting up a fog shader?

Post by coolgun »

So I can't make sense of the instructions for this shader here: viewtopic.php?t=2905

I'm not very good at this kind of thing. I simply don't understand what I must do exactly. Is there a step-by-step guide? I've tried the wiki etc but no luck figuring out what I must do :(
Loriel

Re: Newb here. Is this the correct place to ask for some help setting up a fog shader?

Post by Loriel »

Probably the right place - no doubt it will be moved if it's not.

If I understand that thread correctly, it's a modification to the OpenMW engine itself, so some code needs to be dropped into the source files, and the engine then needs to be re-compiled. There are proposals to make it part of the main engine "sometime soon". There appear to be several people working simultaneously and independently on it, so there are probably several versions around - including some for the old OGRE graphics system.

Loriel
jirka642

Re: Newb here. Is this the correct place to ask for some help setting up a fog shader?

Post by jirka642 »

This is how I installed old OGRE version, it might help you. I also didn't need any recompiling.
coolgun

Post by coolgun »

@Loriel

I pasted those things in the materials folder but it doesn't go into effect :(
I don't know how to empty cache
magamo

Post by magamo »

From my update to Visvaldis's OSG version patch, the water.cpp changes have been merged, so you should be able to just apply the patch mostly as is in your resources directory. However, I've not tried that.
coolgun

Post by coolgun »

How do you apply a patch? I haven't been able to find anything about how patches are used for OpenMW

Let me list what I've done exactly:

1. Downloaded fog-shader.zip and new-shader-fog.patch from here viewtopic.php?t=2905

2. Extracted fog-shader.zip to OpenMW 0.42.0\resources\materials

3. Copied new-shader-fog.patch to OpenMW 0.42.0\resources\materials

4. in settings.cfg set this:
"distant land = true"
"viewing distance = 500000.0"

I also later tried adding:
[Shaders]
auto use object normal maps = true
auto use terrain normal maps = true
auto use object specular maps = true
auto use terrain specular maps = true
terrain specular map pattern = _diffusespec
force shaders = true
clamp lighting = false
normal map pattern = _n
normal height map pattern = _nh

That is what I did. I also tried pasting the fog-shader files in just about every other possible location but no luck.

The post mentions clearing the cache but I have searched my ass off on the internet and on my computer for it and can't find the directory.

If we get this working I'll be sure to post a proper step-by-step guide for the community.
magamo

Post by magamo »

Both of the files you mentioned are the old versions for OpenMW 0.36, from before the graphical system change from OGRE to OSG. They use the old shiny material system, and will not work. The OSG patches are much later in the thread. When I get home this evening, I'll pull out the relavant files, and post a 'patchless' zip file to that thread which should work against 0.42.0 and master.

I don't know that writing a step-by-step guide at this point is the best of ideas. The current released version of this is VERY WIP.
coolgun

Post by coolgun »

Oh okay thank you.

I downloaded the one later in the thread as well (fog-shader-osg.zip) and did the same thing but haven't gotten it to work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with the .patch file or it's something to do with the cache
magamo

Post by magamo »

I've posted the zip file to the original thread for this shader. Directions are in my post.
coolgun

Post by coolgun »

IT WORKS!!!!!! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

I was beginning to download a bunch of programs for applying patches and stuff. Thank you so much!

BTW I think you may want to edit your post on the other thread because you said to set force shaders' to true in [Shaders] in the openmw.cfg and I'm pretty sure its actually in the Settings.cfg

Thanks again hero