Saved game from OG Morrowind issue

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
DOSFreak

Saved game from OG Morrowind issue

Post by DOSFreak »

OpenMW version 0.41.0
Revision: 40dc1dd6f5
Windows 10 64bit
Nvidia 1080

Hello,

Today I converted an old Morrowind save from 2003 to the OpenMW format and loaded it.

Received the usual Morrowind errors and then the saved game loaded.

I could see the game HUD, music was playing, inventory could be seen but the rest of the screen was black.

If I bump gamma up all the way then I can barely see the game.

Screenshots taken in or out of the game don't respect the maxed gamma setting so not much point in posting one.

I've attached a password protected zip archive of the original saved games. Just PM for the password if interested in debugging.
Attachments
Saves.zip
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 164 times
Thunderforge

Re: Saved game from OG Morrowind issue

Post by Thunderforge »

To the best of my knowledge, save games for vanilla Morrowind are not intended to be usable with OpenMW.

Do you have any of these problems when starting a fresh game?
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

The save game importer is far from being complete.

Its development is not a priority (compared to engine's development) and we should not expect it to be completed soon.
DOSFreak

Post by DOSFreak »

Understood about savegame support.

OpenMW is fine with a fresh game, issue was noticed when using the converted saved game from original that causes the game screen to be black (except for the HUD). From a brief inspection everything seemed to be working except of course not being able to view the screen. heh
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The simplest explanation is that you're wearing Boots of Blinding speed, which just so happens to make everything except for the HUD black.
DOSFreak

Post by DOSFreak »

Thanks that's what it was!

It looks like during the conversion of the save game the royal signet ring is no longer equipped so the blindness effect from the boots is in effect.

What's threw me off is that Vanilla morrowind with everything removed except the boots the screen is dimmed slightly but in OpenMW the screen is extremely dark (Equivalent in vanilla morrowind would be turning gamma down to the extreme). This makes sense of course it's supposed to be 100% blindess.

So it looks like the breton magicka resistance didn't carry over. Since I played morrowind with a Breton character with 50% magicka resistance by default I never noticed especially with other items making up the other 50%.

Haven't touched Morrowind since it first came out so kinda rusty.