Is OpenMW dead?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zobator

Re: OpenMW is dead

Post by Zobator »

raevol wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 07:35 In my view, enthusiast OpenMW'ers who need every bug fix and change should be using dailies, so there's no need to rush out a wildly unremarkable release.
Well to be fair, even as a long-time follower it's not completely clear to me where to get these nightlies or dailies. There's this topic by ACE(Swe), but that forum-message was last edited 28th of august and doesn't state when the files themselves were updated. That's highly confusing for a lot of people. After investigating further I see these were updated only last week but IMO that should be made a lot clearer to the public. It is also worth noting that on the download-page of openmw.org there's no mention whatsoever about these nightlies being released for Windows. PR-wise the nightlies are a bit of a disaster if you ask me. Even more so because every time someone makes the complaint that the next release is way overdue most insiders just use the catchphrase: "you should use the nightlies" Period.

Not the best way to get that much needed feedback on the latest developments in an already small community...
raevol

Post by raevol »

All fair points. lgro/psi29a, can we do anything to make the nightlies more visible?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

akortunov wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 06:01
but am getting the Windows equivalent of segfaults
At least you can try to build your program in Debug configuration and try to determine which line causes a crash (via Visual Studio debugger, for example).
Done that. The cause of the issue seemed to be before the lines that actually noticed it. For example, things like 'unable to write to memory at 0x0004' on a line that's calling something's push back method implies that the underlying vector hasn't been constructed properly, and it's OSG's job to make sure that happens.

The world isn't ending, though, as I've got everything working under Ubuntu now, so should be able to start progressing again.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 10:29 All fair points. lgro/psi29a, can we do anything to make the nightlies more visible?
Done, but as usual it's better to send me PM 'cos I could miss such request in forum discussion ;)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

lgromanowski wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:12
raevol wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 10:29 All fair points. lgro/psi29a, can we do anything to make the nightlies more visible?
Done, but as usual it's better to send me PM 'cos I could miss such request in forum discussion ;)
Could you please add these links to the Wiki? The main page has links to nightlies, but it looks like only the macOS links actually point to nightly releases, not the Windows or LInux ones.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Thunderforge wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:31
lgromanowski wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:12
Could you please add these links to the Wiki? The main page has links to nightlies, but it looks like only the macOS links actually point to nightly releases, not the Windows or LInux ones.
Ok, done :)
raevol

Post by raevol »

lgromanowski wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:12Done, but as usual it's better to send me PM 'cos I could miss such request in forum discussion ;)
Where did you put them? I don't see them. :shock:
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 00:10
lgromanowski wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:12Done, but as usual it's better to send me PM 'cos I could miss such request in forum discussion ;)
Where did you put them? I don't see them. :shock:
It's pinned near FAQ topic as a global announcement
raevol

Post by raevol »

lgromanowski wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 08:37It's pinned near FAQ topic as a global announcement
I see it now. I think we were hoping it could be on the downloads page of the main site? Would that be possible?