Getting started and having possibly stupid questions

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
DecumusScotti

Getting started and having possibly stupid questions

Post by DecumusScotti »

Hey there,

I'm not new to programming, but all I've done so far was high-level and/or more akin to scripting (like VBS, VBA and Python). But I'd like to start getting involved in the not-too-distant future, because this project is just great and I love Morrowind :)
I'm currently learning cpp and taking my time with that, especially to learn best practices. And at the same time, I'm trying to get familiar with the MW code base (I followed these instructions). At this stage, it's really not appropriate yet for me to file an application as a new dev. Instead I'm saving that for when I feel like I can actually be of help :D

I know that some of the questions I have in my mind now might sound stupid to you more experienced devs here, but I figured we all start somewhere :)

So, first couple of questions:
I'm using Code::Blocks for learning cpp and I was asking myself: What is the best way to test small changes to openMW modules? How do you guys do that? Is it always necessary to do a full recompilation, or is there a better way?

Also, can I directly use Code::Blocks for that and if so, how?

More questions will probably follow, and if other people have similarly beginner-level questions, feel free to use this topic, too :)

Thanks in advance,
DS

Edit: Came back, found the first question to not be clear, and clarified.
raven

Re: Getting started and having possibly stupid questions

Post by raven »

The lazy variant would be to use code::blocks as your source editor and let cmake handle the build business.

I think you can tell cb to call make for you, not sure if it is worth it.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Ok, then I'll just continue that way for now. Thanks. Let's see what'll come of it :D
magamo

Post by magamo »

I wouldn't think of running 'make' as a 'full recompilation', as it will simply only rebuild things that have changed since your last build run, unless you've run something like 'make clean'. I also highly recommend using ccache, as this will often immensely speed up recompilation.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Hello, and welcome to the forums. Don't worry about the "stupid questions" thing, as there are no stupid questions -- except the ones left unasked.

As for building/compiling with code::blocks -- keep us posted on how this goes. I do not know how any of the devs do their compilations, but I had just started learning c++ (and part of that is with using code::blocks) and would like to know how this works for you.

ST