OpenMW 0.42.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Capostrophic

Re: OpenMW 0.42.0

Post by Capostrophic »

It's been more than 6 months from 0.41.0 and each release cycle should theoretically take no more than 3 months, and even 0.37.0, like, the biggest release evah, only required 5 months of wait (from June 2015 to the first of December).
raevol

Post by raevol »

@Atahualpa good to hear. :) Glad things are looking up!
lysol

Post by lysol »

TechNoirMK wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 03:57
lysol wrote: 31 May 2017, 10:59 Awfully quiet here.
Well, each release needs at least 5 months, and it's been barely a month since 0.42, so..
Sorry but... Wrong.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Well, this delay has proven to be beneficial on my end at least. Currently away on my vacation, and I'm getting semi-regular mails from my automated build system about failing due to there being not a single byte left on my system disk.

Windows really doesn't like when that happens, so I've lost all remoting capabilities until I can get back home and physically access my computer.
Which in turn means no RCs (or nightlies for that matter) from me until I can again return to my humble abode.

I will be able for a release come July.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

It possibly will be better already relise 0.42 with 0.43 :lol:
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

So I know that delays happen, but not having OpenMW 0.42.0 out is starting to result in bugs being reported that are already fixed.

I spent half an hour trying to reproduce #3819, which was reported two months ago. But it turns out that it was all for nothing because it was already fixed 6 months ago. In other words, the bug was fixed, then four months later a user ran into it, then two months after that I triaged it and could reliably reproduce it. This was an unfortunate waste of time.

Not every user is willing to download the nightly build, and a stable release means that more users will see these bug fixes and not have to report bugs for them. I hope that a new stable release, either 0.42.0 or 0.43.0, can be made soon so that we don't have more of these already fixed bug reports.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I hear you and agree, but as a devil's advocate, maybe we should have "check the nightlies" be part of our bug reporting process? I understand casual users don't want to download nightlies, but our dedicated testers should be using nightlies...
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

Ace (SWE) wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 08:57 Well, this delay has proven to be beneficial on my end at least. Currently away on my vacation, and I'm getting semi-regular mails from my automated build system about failing due to there being not a single byte left on my system disk.

Windows really doesn't like when that happens, so I've lost all remoting capabilities until I can get back home and physically access my computer.
Which in turn means no RCs (or nightlies for that matter) from me until I can again return to my humble abode.

I will be able for a release come July.
That's impressive. Any idea how you managed that? Like, did windows update go bonkers, or did you leave a 3 zetabyte torrent of romantic comedy anime running in the background?
fuzzles

Post by fuzzles »

fuzzles wrote: 02 May 2017, 03:10
lysol wrote:User issue.

Source:
fuzzles wrote:That fixed it. That was one of the first things attempted, but I too forgot the quote marks
To be fair, the installer did not do this correctly to begin with. I had to manually fix the config file before it worked and detected my data file directory. I doubt this would be a problem on a subsequent install, but it was the first time I've attempted to use OpenMW and the config was not correctly setup despite running the wizard multiple times.
This seems to have gotten lost in the mix.

I installed OpenMW *fresh* for the very first time ever and it wouldn't configure the directories properly until I tracked down the config file and manually edited it.

The reference above that quotes me as 'that fixed it, I forgot the quotes too' relates to me personally forgetting the quotes in one of my troubleshooting steps when I was attempting to fix the problem with my fresh install. My forgetting the quotes had nothing to do with the original problem of the config file not being created properly to begin with.

The only reason I'm bringing it up again after being brushed off is because I'm hoping that other brand new users to this great project will not have the same problem.

Thank you
lysol

Post by lysol »

@fuzzles:

I thought I replied to you earlier, but apparently I forgot. Anyway, yes, I saw your answer. Sorry you felt you were being "brushed off", that wasn't my intention, I had probably not read the whole discussion so I really thought it was a user issue. So no offence meant. :)