How do I install Morrowind from Steam or GOG on a Mac?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Thunderforge

How do I install Morrowind from Steam or GOG on a Mac?

Post by Thunderforge »

I am running macOS and just downloaded OpenMW. I have Morrowind purchased from both Steam and GOG and am wanting to play the game. When I run the Installation Wizard, these are my two options:
OpenMW Mac Installation Wizard.png
Neither of them apply to my situation. I don't have a retail disk, since it's from Steam and GOG. And I don't have an existing installation, since the game was originally for Windows.

So how can I install my Steam or GOG copy of Morrowind on macOS? I do have access to a Windows machine if necessary, but I'd prefer not to have to use it.
Naugrim

Re: How do I install Morrowind from Steam or GOG on a Mac?

Post by Naugrim »

You have two options depending on whether you want a 100% clean install, or you can can get an installation directory from another Machine.
If you can get the files from a Windows installation is a lot easier, just copy the whole directory into your Mac and point OpenMW to it.
If you want to download a clean installation on MacOS you'll need to trick Steam client, instructions her viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3285&p=36598#p36598
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

So I tried to install from Steam and successfully downloaded. But when I launched the game, I got this error:
ESM Error: File /Users/Will/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Data Files/Tribunal.esm asks for parent file Morrowind.esm, but it has not been loaded yet. Please check your load order.
File: /Users/Will/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Data Files/Tribunal.esm
Record: TES3
Subrecord: DATA
Offset: 0x16a
First it said "Bloodmoon", then I changed the load order to have Tribunal first, but got an error message about Tribunal.

What can I do to fix this?
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

I haven't been able to reproduce the exact messages. Are those in the console or the wizard?

In my case I have this configuration working.
Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 08.32.32.png
If I uncheck or change the order of Tribunal/Bloodman I get some yellow error tooltips, but the messages read different from yours.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

To clarify, I get the error message like this:

1. I click "Play"
2. The Bethesda Softworks video plays
3. An error dialog message appears.

As for the configuration, I'm just using Tribunal and Bloodmoon with no mods (the double letters in the content list name are due to this bug).
Base Game OpenMW Configuration.png
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Per a discussion in IRC, here are what the tooltips say:
Tribunal Error.png
Bloodmoon Error.png
Running OpenMW without any expansions, quitting, then restarting OpenMW clears Tribunal's error. I can then launch the game with both expansions.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

After some discussion with users on IRC, we discovered that the issue was due to the file creation date of Bloodmoon.esm being older than the one for Morrowind.esm. It looks like Steam downloaded Bloodmoon, then Morrowind, then Tribunal and OpenMW tried to load them in that order.

Bug #3926 was created to address this.