Default settings file not found when launching from debugger

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
PlutonicOverkill

Default settings file not found when launching from debugger

Post by PlutonicOverkill »

I managed to get OpenMW compiled using Visual Studio 2015, but when I try and launch it or OpenMW-CS from the debugger, they exit with the error: "No default settings file found! Make sure the file "openmw-cs.cfg" was properly installed." However, when launching them from outside of Visual Studio, this error does not occur, although OpenMW triggers a debug assertion in ESM::Script::loadSCVR() due to mStringTableSize being 0, where I am able to resume from the debugger. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?
AnyOldName3

Re: Default settings file not found when launching from debu

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm assuming you've used the script to set up your development environment instead of doing everything by hand. If so, then I don't think it sets up absolutely everything correctly. You might have to tweak the setting in the attached screenshot:
Untitled.png
PlutonicOverkill

Thanks, I found that changing it to $(OutDir) worked. Half the time when I change a project property in VS I wonder why it doesn't change anything, then find I set it in the wrong configuration. :roll:
PlutonicOverkill

I'm having another build problem. Debug builds work fine, apart from being very slow, but release builds don't run due to osg.dll not being found. This is probably due to an incorrect directory configuration again, but I'm not sure which it might be.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

When you changed the setting last time, did you do it with 'All configurations' selected, or just 'Debug'? If the debug build can find osgd.dll, the release build should be able to find osg.dll
PlutonicOverkill

Found the solution. The install script only copied over the dlls for debug builds, so the release folder was missing them. I fixed the problem by manually copying over all the dlls and cfgs and now everything works. Thanks for your help anyway!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Ah, there's a reason for that. You're supposed to run the script a second time in a different mode, as it only creates one configuration at once, and Debug is the default.
PlutonicOverkill

Oops, didn't realise that. Well, at least everything works now.
PlutonicOverkill

Sorry to be a nuisance, but it looks like the build script's currently broken, at least in Release mode. Both http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/ ... n64-dev.7z and http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/ ... -shared.7z just lead to 404s. Changing "3.0.1" to "master" seems to fix it.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I assume you mean 'latest' when you say 'master'? Either way, I'm guessing that the reason it doesn't link to that already is that Ace (the guy who maintains the script) decided it was safer to use a release than a random git revision. It's probably worth making a pull request changing it to 3.2.4, as there's no way to argue that it isn't an improvement. It might also be worth starting a discussion with someone other than me as to whether it's better to link to the 'latest' version.