OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
GameEnder

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by GameEnder »

Thank you fall all the work you do making this all work to get Windows builds out at all. :D
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Hi Ace,

It seems like the last nightly build was created on Jan-30-2017. Did you have a chance to check what's wrong with the build system?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Right, the issue with my error notifications only working after CMake has run strikes again.

Currently building a new set of Bullet dependencies, since we apparently need 2.86 now.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

Ace, did you see my post here? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4119

Do you think while you are preparing the new Bullet you could add in the .pdb files to make the debug build happy? :)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Allofich wrote:Ace, did you see my post here? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4119

Do you think while you are preparing the new Bullet you could add in the .pdb files to make the debug build happy? :)
Well, I'd love to. But the Bullet debug builds don't actually create any usable debug databases right now, even though every settings says they should.

If your Bullet builds actually generate proper .pdb files then I'd love a CMake cache dump to see what could be interfering, since I've only changed the install binary dir in my local copy.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

Strange, I was sure I created .pdb files when I compiled Bullet the other day, but now none are being created. I'll post again if I figure it out.

Edit: OK, so it did make them, I just didn't realize the location. For example, BulletCollision.pdb was in
(build directory)\src\BulletCollision\BulletCollision.dir\Debug.

If it's helpful, here is the CMake cache.

Edit2: With the updated Bullet in the script from your PR I got the .pdb warnings, but using the Bullet I built locally I didn't. I didn't actually have to put the .pdb files in the dependency folder with the one I built.
Attachments
CMakeCache.txt
(15.91 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Windows DLL's know where they were built, so they can look up any PDB's they were created with, meaning you don't need to put PDB files next to the DLL's if you compiled them locally.

And the issue with the debug databases has now been found, apparently VS2013 actually doesn't create any PDB's for Bullet. 2015 does though, and I've verified that on my local compiles as well.

I guess this is just another hint that I should move more of the build chain over to VS2015 as the main tool instead.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

Glad you have figured it out. Well, when you have time maybe you can replace the bullet .7z files with the new ones. If you want I could even post here the ones I built that don't cause warnings. Anyway, thanks for letting me bug you about it.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Going to require quite a lot of manual work to do the PDB insertion, more than I currently do for the dependency packages.

But yeah, will see about pushing a 2015 package with debug databases once I find some more time for that. No luck on VS2013 so far though.
augustt

Post by augustt »

Don't know much about builds and dependencies, but I'm guessing the problems with bullet are why I can't install from the daily ppa atm?

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 openmw : Depends: libbullet2.85 but it is not installable
          Recommends: openmw-launcher but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
(This is on Ubuntu 16.04.)