Tutorials

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
weedfreak

Re: Tutorials

Post by weedfreak »

Just remembered a really good blender course at http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html.

A real course with video and pdf 'lessons' and tests/exercises to practice your skills on as you move onto longer project work. A little bit dated as Blender has had some major releases since the first lessons were made, the core principles are good even if the UI is different.
sjek

Post by sjek »

http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forum ... modmakers/

these are for vanilla morrowind but most of it still should apply.
ton of useful information, tips and bricks. don't understand it myself but examples have been great.
ie. see trought windows in symphony and eerie ghost ship with alpha flags

with google on other sites
there's also mod makers manual and mod makers bible which have disclaimer for no monetary purposes which destribe mostly vanilla CS
http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/mmw/ ... r's_Manual
http://groskuik.free.fr/docs%20pour%20s ... lev114.pdf

for making this kinda pack to digest there's also bethsoft forums with multiple compilation resources besides from binned ones, this is one of them
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/153595 ... m-threads/
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I included some new links. But while they are helpful in understanding the OpenMW-CS analogue, they are Morrowind-specific and not really written for OpenMW.
sjek

Post by sjek »

althought not translated can you add that notes for modmakers and MSFD 9 http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/13969/?

both need testing on edge cases and are more vanilla specific but most comprehensive quides on the net
maybe a note that working around vanila compiler problems can be bigger hassle than modding itself
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Played around enough to grasp 3D when working in wings3D and truespace. Now I want to learn Blender, but I get held up whenever I try to start teaching myself the blender controls/workflow by a small but annoying problem. The crap mouse I have middle button/scroll wheel is impossible to use. I know that the proper answer is going to be "get a new mouse" but is there any way to do the actions w/ the middle button/mousewheel with say hotkeys???

ST the mousey :oops:
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The middle mouse is used to rotate your camera (your perspective) around the scene. You could rebind it in your settings, but it'll probably allow for better workflow to use a mouse with a proper middle mouse button.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

silentthief wrote:I know that the proper answer is going to be "get a new mouse" but is there any way to do the actions w/ the middle button/mousewheel with say hotkeys???
Go to [File] -> [User Preferences] and navigate to the [Input] tab. There, expand the "3D View" list, scroll down to the view modifiers, and change the hotkeys of the various "View 3D <xyz> Modal" options.

However,
silentthief wrote:"get a new mouse"
is the best way to go. Blender likes to put obstacles in your way -- but it's worth the pain.
Darklocq

unexpected name, Ignoring extra arg., stray explicit ref.

Post by Darklocq »

Covering three probable-noob issues that may be obvious to others.

I did a Verify in OpenMW-CS, and among other crap I recognize and can resolve (like stray endifs), it produced the following error:

Code: Select all

Type: Script, ID: Warlord_aScript, Severity: Error, Description: Unexpected name (Journal)
The offending line is:

If ( Journal MS_Warlords >= 70 )
I don't know enough about MW's scripting syntax to know what might be wrong with that.

Here's the entire script (code indentation added by me for legibility):

Begin Warlord_aScript

Short NoLore
Short daysgoneby
Short timerday
Short doonce

If ( daysgoneby == 0 )
  Set timerDay To Day
  Set daysgoneby To 1
EndIf

If ( timerDay != Day )
  Set daysgoneby To ( daysgoneby + 1 )
  Set timerDay To Day
EndIf

If ( doonce == 0 )
  If ( GetPCCell "Mournhold, Vacant Manor" == 0 )
    If ( daysgoneby == 2 )
      "Dovor Oren"->SetHealth 0
      "Felvan Ienith"->PositionCell -490.53 800.05 -88.71 90 "Mournhold, Royal Palace: Jail"
      "Felvan Ienith"->RemoveItem "ebony war axe_elanande" 1
      "Felvan Ienith"->RemoveItem "extravagant_robe_02_elanande" 1
      "Felvan Ienith"->RemoveItem "steel battle axe" 1
      If ( Journal MS_Warlords >= 70 )
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "ebony war axe_elanande" 1
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "extravagant_robe_02_elanande" 1
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "steel battle axe" 1
      EndIf
      "Olvyne Dobar"->PositionCell -490.53 1020.05 -88.71 90 "Mournhold, Royal Palace: Jail"
      "Olvyne Dobar"->RemoveItem "silver_helm_uvenim" 1
      "Olvyne Dobar"->RemoveItem "silver spear_uvenim" 1
      "Olvyne Dobar"->RemoveItem "silver war axe" 1
      If ( Journal MS_Warlords >= 100 )
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "silver_helm_uvenim" 1
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "silver spear_uvenim" 1
        "stolen_goods2"->AddItem "silver war axe" 1
      EndIf
      Journal "MS_Warlords_a" 35
      Set doonce To 1
    EndIf
  EndIf
EndIf

End
Putting quotes around MS_Warlord had no effect on this. My assumption is that the actual command for getting stuff from/writing stuff the journal is not "Journal".

Second, I get lots of these and am mystified as to what the issue is:

Type: Script, ID: Sotha_Alma, Severity: Warning, Description: ignoring extra argument (Player)
where the offending line is usually of the form:

StopCombat Player
or

Sterdecan->StopCombat Tul
Sample snippet:

if ( state < 100 )
	if ( OnPCHitMe == 1 )
		StopCombat Player
		set OnPCHitMe to 0
	endif
endif
Third, there are lots and lots of these:

Type: Script, ID: Sotha_Alma, Severity: Warning, Description: stray explicit reference (ignoring it) (OnActivate)
where the offending line is something like:

if ( "bk_ahnia"->OnActivate == 1 )
Snippet:

if ( GetJournalIndex "MS_ScrollSales" == 30 )
		Journal MS_ScrollSales 35
		Activate
	endif
endif
It also does this with various cases of AddTopic, Journal, GetJournalIndex, etc.

Fourth: Occasionally I get one of these, also a mystery to me:

Type: Script, ID: reeh_jahScript, Severity: Warning, Description: stray string argument (ignoring it) ("reeh_jah")
in a line like:

disable "reeh_jah"
Snippet:

if ( GetJournalIndex "MV_RunawaySlave" >= 105 )
		if ( CellChanged == 1 )
			disable "reeh_jah"
		endif
	endif
I would greatly appreciate any debugging help!

Most of the rest of what I see is ">= -2 is always true", "has an orphaned point", "has a duplicated point", "no defined Journal Infos", "contains item without referenceable", "has zero duration" (for dead lights), "has an empty name" and "has no icon" (also often for dead lights, and it seems to me these maybe should not be flagged "Error").

Not sure I need to care about orphaned or duplicated points. The missing Journal infos, well, unless something will break because content they planned to write but didn't is missing, I don't care. "Contains item without referenceable" seems to mean it refers to an object that doesn't actually exist in the game world; my assumption is the item simply wont be there, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

PS: Does it actually matter if a script has an unspecific End, or a mismatched on? I keep running into both of these cases:

Begin Something_Here
End
and

Begin Something_Here
End DifferentThing
instead of

Begin Something_Here
End Something_Here
OpenMW-CS also keeps flagging cases like this as wrong:

Begin Something_Here
End something_here
but the language appears to be case-insensitive, so this seem to be an OpenMW-CS bug. I have no pored over the bug tracker, but imagine that it's already covered there somewhere.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Putting quotes around MS_Warlord had no effect on this. My assumption is that the actual command for getting stuff from/writing stuff the journal is not "Journal".
GetJournalIndex
StopCombat Player
StopCombat does not take any arguments.
OnActivate is always used for the instance the script is attached to. You can not specify any other object via ->.
disable "reeh_jah"
Disable does not take any arguments.

see here for a description of the MW scripting language.