What OS?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SGMonkey

What OS?

Post by SGMonkey »

Hello everyone. Just something I've always wondered about with devs and users of OpenMW.

Title says it all, what OS, distro, DE are you using? Either for dev work or gaming.

I generally switch between Manjaro and W10. Manjaro being the preferred choice for most things. W10 for gaming and UE4 work.

Cheers all, and merry christmas. Have a good weekend everyone!
Chris

Re: What OS?

Post by Chris »

I use Debian Stretch (recently updated from Jessie), with KDE5. I find KDevelop really nice to do coding with, so that's what I use for most development (I'll only use a plain text editor and command line for small simple things; for larger things it's helpful to have a featured IDE).

I do gaming on the same system. I generally only play games that run natively in Linux, or use Wine for the few that don't.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

I use Mac OS Sierra. Most of the other non-OpenMW work I do is done under QNX.

Marry Christmas :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Windows 8, just because it came with the laptop. I've got working Blender 2.49B so I can port my models into OpenMW and I also do all of my gaming on this laptop.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Ubuntu at work, Debian at home.

I really like that Unity's Editor works on Linux. UE4's editor I've compiled and played with on Linux and soon will Crytek's editor also run on Linux. \o/

For IDE: I recommend CLion for C/C++ (Free for open-source projects) and PyCharm (Community Edition). QtCreator and their QtDesiner are fantastic open-source IDEs with the best Qt integration in town.

Qemu for cross-compile jobs (arm64/armel/armhf) and VirtualBox for testing on OSX and Windows.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I adopted Windows 10 on the developer version about 6-4 months before it came out, and have used it for everything ever since.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Windows 10 for my main desktop machine, because VS and games. Linux Mint (latest) for my development laptop, because much more user-friendly environment.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Windows 10, mostly because I have a tendency to meddle with and break operating systems, and I can usually work out how I broke a Windows machine much faster than a *nix one.

That said, I do use Ubuntu quite a bit.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

AnyOldName3 wrote:I can usually work out how I broke a Windows machine much faster than a *nix one.
I have the opposite problem. ;)

Virtualbox's snapshots has saved me a few hours of headache as a result.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

psi29a wrote:I have the opposite problem. ;)
For me it's easier to figure out the problem on Windows, but easier to fix one on Linux.