Hello and odd shadow(?) effect

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Calibration

Hello and odd shadow(?) effect

Post by Calibration »

Hi,

First, just recently come across and installed openmw (0.41.0) on my Mac Air which is great because my old PC just died just as I was about to start playing Morrowind again after a long absence. Thanks to all the developers for providing this as open source! It all seems to run fine so far although I had to limit the framerate to 30 to stop my cpu/fan going nuts after about 1 minute of play.

But I have one question. There is an odd effect that when you start to look just above the horizontal any shadows (?) expand until the whole ground in front of you looks black. Mostly noticeable when next to any tall structures such as towns.
is this a feature (looks like some odd physics interpretation of shadowing) or some video bug? My Mac has an Intel HD Graphics 3000. Did a search and haven't seen a reference to this effect.

Cheers
Jyby

Re: Hello and odd shadow(?) effect

Post by Jyby »

Hey Calibration! Welcome to the forums.

I have a MacBook Air too, so we have that in common :D

Any chance you could provide a picture of problem you're experiencing?
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Here you go. Looking just above the horizontal and just below
Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 11.22.04.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 11.21.59.png
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Hey Calibration I'm going to try this out. First did you remember to calibrate your horizontal? Joke :D

Does the time of day affect the issue? If so what time of day do you see this issue?
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Jyby wrote:Hey Calibration I'm going to try this out. First did you remember to calibrate your horizontal? Joke :D

Does the time of day affect the issue? If so what time of day do you see this issue?
It's the same for any time of day, just less obvious at night.

Cheers
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Are you running 0.41.0 RC4? That is what I am running.

Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce your problem on my MacBook Air. But I have the Intel HD 5000.

This could be an issue with the graphics card you have, but I am by no means a graphics expert.

Send me a link to where you got the OpenMW version you're running. Do you experience this problem with older versions?
lysol

Post by lysol »

This is most likely some kind of graphics card issue I would guess. A dev probably have to have a look at this.
StofferNiels

Post by StofferNiels »

I'm having the exact same issue on the same graphics card. I don't remember having it in previous versions. I am running 0.41
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

StofferNiels wrote:I'm having the exact same issue on the same graphics card. I don't remember having it in previous versions. I am running 0.41
Would you mind testing the game with version 0.40.0 to verify this? If the issue only appears in version 0.41.0, we may be able to isolate it. -- If the issue also appears in 0.40.0 but wasn't present before (according to your memory), it looks more like a graphics driver problem to me. Any recent updates?