[U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Sslaxx

[U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Post by Sslaxx »

http://ultimacodex.com/2016/12/titans-o ... ouncement/

As far as I recall, Redemption is supposed to be using OpenMW. Is this still the case?
DestinedToDie

Re: [U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Post by DestinedToDie »

Never played the game, but was always interested in trying the Ultima mod. No download link tho.

I think this is what the big news is about. The appearance of a download link.

I think one of the goals for making OpenMW were to transfer the Ultima mod into OpenMW as a stand-alone game. However I think we are not there yet. But I guess we'll see on December 18.

On another thought. There is a newspost asking about ISO view or no ISO view. If Corv has worked on making brand new character model + skeleton + animations, that would be the question he'd be asking.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

DestinedToDie wrote:On another thought. There is a newspost asking about ISO view or no ISO view. If Corv has worked on making brand new character model + skeleton + animations, that would be the question he'd be asking.
If this is indeed the case, this could be a big deal for other projects out there like Ashes of the Apocalypse (assuming, of course, that they let any presumed animation skeletons be used by other projects, that they're suitable etc).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

It's a slim chance tho. Consider that they have yet to even publish a download to the mod.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

I agree, people shouldn't be getting too excited about this (this announcement might well be really a non-event). Still, slim chance is better than no chance.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

[Redacted by request of Corv.]
Last edited by Sslaxx on 15 Dec 2016, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Zini's activity has been low lately.

This isn't all that bad. If Zini and Titans of Ether team are making their own IP, then power to them!

Although maybe the Ultima mod (or what % was finished) could be released for Ultima fans. Perhaps Zini is not in on this and wants to continue Ultima Redemption?

I'm working on my own commercial game on OpenMW, so we got that going. Plus Morrowind fanbase is still alive. We're quite closed to 1.0 as well, so I it's not like 8 years of work put into the engine is going to disappear because Zini is busy with other endeavours.

I do wonder why they went with UE4 and not OpenMW. Understandably UE4 is more powerful, but they have a vast amount of experience with a Morrowind-like engine.
Zini

Post by Zini »

It's official now: Here is our new project. We also have a video up.

I am going to answer a few questions that were either asked in advanced or that I expect people will ask.

First the old Redemption project: I am really sorry to see it go. But we reached a point were there was no continuing. You can delay a project only for so long. There were many problems, but I think what broke Redemption's neck was an issue with the MW engine that we were not aware of originally and that could not be fixed or worked around properly (no functioning access to references in unloaded cells).
This is actually a very strong argument for open source. Frankly spoken, it is dumb to invest a large amount of effort, time and creativity into something that depends on a piece of software you have no control over. That is one reason why I pushed for Unreal Engine over Unity. While UE4 isn't free software, it is open source. The source code is fully accessible to anyone and we can make whatever changes we want and release with them.
I don't expect that to be necessary, but if we should run into a similar situation at least we don't risk having the project crippled or killed.

Now to OpenMW: There was some concern that the end of the old Redemption project would affect OpenMW negatively. I assure you this is not the case. I am still committed to OpenMW. I will continue to do my part in running the project and I will continue to contribute code.
The last couple of months were rather chaotic, but things are moving at a more steady pace now. I should now be able to return to being present on the forums more or less daily. Well, not quite now, because as usual I am away over Christmas, so there will be a bit more away time. But you get what I mean.

Finally the question has come up, why UE4 instead of OpenMW. There are multiple reasons. But the most obvious one is that OpenMW isn't finished even now and we needed the Engine more than half a year ago. Even with 1.0 OpenMW wouldn't have been ready for us. We would have needed at least the de-hardcoding pass. And even then OpenMW is clearly behind UE4 in regards to graphics, AI and physics. I hope OpenMW will catch up to most of that eventually. But we can not wait for that to happen. This is not another project that can drag on indefinitely and we definitely could not wait for OpenMW to get ready.
dudezzz

Post by dudezzz »

The new project looks great! I will be backing it when it reaches Kickstarter. I am happy to see first-person support. Will you include controller support?

I hope you will consider releasing the most complete build of Ultima: Redemption even in an unfinished state. I've been following UR for years and would be happy simply to wander around the landscapes shown in the recent YouTube video. I also hope you will consider making the assets you've created available to the modding community - I'm sure projects like Project Tamriel, Lyithdonea, and Tamriel Rebuilt could make use of them, not to mention all the other modders in the community.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:It's official now: Here is our new project. We also have a video up.

And even then OpenMW is clearly behind UE4 in regards to graphics, AI and physics. I hope OpenMW will catch up to most of that eventually. But we can not wait for that to happen. This is not another project that can drag on indefinitely and we definitely could not wait for OpenMW to get ready.
This is perfectly understandable and it is fantastic that you'll still spend time on OpenMW. I hope very much that the de-hardcoding happens, if not for U:Redemption but for other games to be made.

What will happen to old U:R assets? Would those perhaps be made public for use for OpenMW, its Template or Example-Suite? :)

Thank you again for keeping at this for all these years.