THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
trelaine

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Post by trelaine »

I wanted to get in touch with the authors and contributors of OpenMW and give them my happiest thanks!

Over the years as I've used Linux one of the drawbacks is it was really difficult to install Morrowind (via WINE) or it couldn't be installed at all.

Recently I finally upgraded to a decent gaming laptop and installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it. So far all the games I had tried worked great. I even managed to get Morrowind installed via PlayOnLinux. But as always when setting up the controls the game would freeze. This bug has existed for years and never repaired. So I deleted Morrowind thinking I'd just have to get use to the idea I can't play the game anymore.

Then while browsing Ubuntu games I stumbled across OpenMW. I gave it a try and I AM SO BLOWN AWAY!!

It works so well! I had no idea OpenMW existed. I've always browsed the forums for ways to fix problems with Morrowind and nobody ever mentioned trying to use this.

The only caveat I have right now is I can't play my original saved games. I've a couple characters that I've played for years and I can't access them. I haven't found any kind of "importer" either for old saved games. It would be great if somebody remedied this sometime in the future. As it is I'll just play a new character. (I'll probably repost this request under "Feature Requests").

Still, thank you so much for the effort you put into this project. It's really turned into quite a gem!

Best,
Trelaine
:D
Jyby

Re: THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Post by Jyby »

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think we already have a game save import feature... openmw-essimporter. Not sure how well it works.
PrimordialBronze

Post by PrimordialBronze »

Seconding Trelaine's gratitude!!!! :'-) Tears o'Joy.
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

I think we already have a game save import feature... openmw-essimporter. Not sure how well it works.
It's not useful yet for importing and continuing your game, because NPCs won't have AI or will be lying around dead. Unfortunately their stats and AI aren't being imported correctly yet. Bits and pieces are gradually being added to the importer, though, and I think the player character imports mostly intact.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Allofich wrote:...or will be lying around dead.
Watch the sky.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Capostrophic wrote:
Allofich wrote:...or will be lying around dead.
Watch the sky.
:lol: