Are Dynamic Shadows Coming Back In a Month or So?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
raevol

Re: Are Dynamic Shadows Coming Back In a Month or So?

Post by raevol »

ap0 wrote:OpenMW is open-source, feel free to implement the support of what you want yourself :)
On the one hand I understand and agree with your sentiment, on the other hand, we as a team really need to figure out how to get this issue closed. I was talking before about working on code documentation and then putting out a call for new developers. Any other suggestions on this?
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

ap0 wrote:OpenMW is open-source, feel free to implement the support of what you want yourself :)
Yes, we've all seen this sort of response before. The good old "how dare you ask a question about progression of development unless you are contributing to the development team" :lol:
To clarify I'm not requesting, pushing for, nor demanding anything at all. I was curious to see where the team was at with development, nothing more.

Didn't realize they had already ditched shadows and distant land with .38, I thought that was only due to the engine swap? Guess I'll try .37 then :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

mikjames wrote:
Didn't realize they had already ditched shadows and distant land with .38, I thought that was only due to the engine swap? Guess I'll try .37 then :D
Haha. Sorry, you're out of luck again, 0.37 was the first OSG version. :P Go with 0.36. It still uses Ogre3D and therefore still has the option to activate distant land and dynamic shadows. But do know that you'll have a lot of other features missing that, at the time, hadn't been implemented yet. And the performance on 0.36 with water shaders, shadows and distant land activated is frankly rubbish.
sjek

Post by sjek »

or you can use the unoptimised distand land in 0.40 and 0.41 :P

my settings.cfg looks like this on that:
Spoiler: Show
where basically you need to change exterior cell load distance (2 makes 5x5=25 grid) and viewing distance (radius) to suit your needs. one cell is roughly 4500

shaders in normal/specular/parallax can be toggled with these althought others know better
then if you want other available options
there's documentation on https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ile_tweaks and in settings-default.cfg shipped to openmw installation folder : )
sjek

Post by sjek »

raevol wrote:
On the one hand I understand and agree with your sentiment, on the other hand, we as a team really need to figure out how to get this issue closed. I was talking before about working on code documentation and then putting out a call for new developers. Any other suggestions on this?
there has been multiple docs over the times, what i know:

"official" : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3644 ---> http://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master/index.html
doxycen : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3501 (0.39)
include dependancies : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3205 (0.38-39)
opengrok : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3031 (down)

otherwise would say it's on good direction
raven

Post by raven »

OSG has a shadow module I think. So theoretically it should be pretty simple. Practically it probably depends on the level of rendering code customization in OpenMW?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The RTD uses doxygen, so that second link is (almost) redundant. :)
damiel

Post by damiel »

raven wrote:OSG has a shadow module I think. So theoretically it should be pretty simple. Practically it probably depends on the level of rendering code customization in OpenMW?
Yes, OSG has something called "NodeKit" for shadows which implements several different Shadowing implementations like ShadowTextures, classic ShadowMapping, SoftShadowMapping, ShadowVolumes and some fancier stuff like PSSM.

I was looking a couple of weeks (or even month by now i think) ago at the shadow issue but i got carried away by RL stuff, but in theory its just creating a Node for Shadows, assign one of the shadowing techniques to this node and then drop this node in OpenMW's scenegraph but as you might imagine, this is not all of it. Just simply dropping this shadow node in our scenegraph will result in quite poor performance and it's not really flexible we gotta have to be a bit smarter about that. Scrawl already gave some hints in some of his comments in a older forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2775&hilit=osg+shadow&start=30

I tried wrapping my head around this issue and i can totally see why scrawl didnt wanted to go through this stuff a second time ;)
Aussiemon

Post by Aussiemon »

damiel wrote:
raven wrote:OSG has a shadow module I think. So theoretically it should be pretty simple. Practically it probably depends on the level of rendering code customization in OpenMW?
Yes, OSG has something called "NodeKit" for shadows which implements several different Shadowing implementations like ShadowTextures, classic ShadowMapping, SoftShadowMapping, ShadowVolumes and some fancier stuff like PSSM.

I was looking a couple of weeks (or even month by now i think) ago at the shadow issue but i got carried away by RL stuff, but in theory its just creating a Node for Shadows, assign one of the shadowing techniques to this node and then drop this node in OpenMW's scenegraph but as you might imagine, this is not all of it. Just simply dropping this shadow node in our scenegraph will result in quite poor performance and it's not really flexible we gotta have to be a bit smarter about that. Scrawl already gave some hints in some of his comments in a older forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2775&hilit=osg+shadow&start=30

I tried wrapping my head around this issue and i can totally see why scrawl didnt wanted to go through this stuff a second time ;)
The main problem with osgShadow is that all of their default techniques are incompatible with parts of OpenMW (multiple lights, fog without forcing shaders, vertex lighting, etc.). Like Scrawl said in that post; we're given the tools we need to implement shadows, but we'd have to write a technique that fits our specific requirements.
damiel

Post by damiel »

Aussiemon wrote: The main problem with osgShadow is that all of their default techniques are incompatible with parts of OpenMW (multiple lights, fog without forcing shaders, vertex lighting, etc.). Like Scrawl said in that post; we're given the tools we need to implement shadows, but we'd have to write a technique that fits our specific requirements.
Are there more details available in what ways osgShadows is incompatible with openmw or to phrase it better, is there a requirements list what a proper technique needs to fullfill to make it a good fit for openmw? Maybe if we actually have it phrased out properly we have a better idea what needs to be done. Like how do the go on with this problem, implement our own shadow implementation, completly ignoring what osg offers us or do we try to work around the issues with already existing techniques?