MPP and MCP

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
gabrielpf3

MPP and MCP

Post by gabrielpf3 »

Hello guys, I have two questions regarding OpenMW and MCP/MPP

First, will OpenMW include all of MPP's bug fixes, essentially rendering it obsolete?

Second, as far as I know OpenMW is going to include all of the MCP's bug fixes, but what about optional features like Toggle Sneak, or the Shortcut key improvements (something I personally can't live without, but I know some people would rather not have it)? Will OpenMW implement those changes, and if so, will I be able to pick and choose which changes I'd like to keep through an in-game menu or something like that?
Capostrophic

Re: MPP and MCP

Post by Capostrophic »

MPP: OpenMW by definition cannot fix resource bugs. Well, there are side effects like better blending of landscape textures (effectively removes seams) and proper support of scripts targeted on references in unloaded cells , but these are exceptions. The second hilariously breaks the main questline of Morrowind by lowering the health of the main antagonist before the protagonist meets him lower than zero due to oversights in a vanilla script - which didn't work properly in original engine. There's a dirty work-around directly in OpenMW so you actually can finish the current target game, that is Morrowind.

MCP: sneak with toggle, of all things, is already implemented, however you must do changes to your custom configuration file with a text editor if you want to enable some features, like showing the time played and indicating owned items.
gabrielpf3

Post by gabrielpf3 »

Thank you for answering. Just found out about the settings.cfg file.
So, does that mean I should still use MPP with OpenMW?
And as for everything else MCP offers, does the team have any plans to implement the optional features it provides as, well, optional features in OpenMW, since they're not compatible?
sjek

Post by sjek »

no clear plan on implementing them but taking into openmw is evaluated per feature if somebody first codes it.
less code duplication is easier to manage and game mechanics stuff is largely possibly to mod via dehardcoding, countering the need to drop features or ship game mechanic mods with openmw.

MPP or multitude of other mods which fix morrowind game files goes good. mix matching them goes to modding .p
there are edge cases but if something is broken, forum is open
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

The second hilariously breaks the main questline of Morrowind by lowering the health of the main antagonist before the protagonist meets him lower than zero due to oversights in a vanilla script - which didn't work properly in original engine.
I don't think it's quite that bad, if you are meaning that the script would always do that. I haven't actually tested in-game to see what happens, but as I understand there are optional objectives in the game, each of which would lower the health, and if you completed all or almost all of them, then the main antagonist's health would fall to zero or even try to go below zero.

I take your point, of course. ;)
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Allofich wrote: I haven't actually tested in-game to see what happens, but as I understand there are optional objectives in the game, each of which would lower the health, and if you completed all or almost all of them, then the main antagonist's health would fall to zero or even try to go below zero.
Yeah, I meant that.

well, if assume everyone to be completionist...