Native Controller Support but no Xbox UI?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
AnyOldName3

Re: Native Controller Support but no Xbox UI?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The simplest way to get a development environment on Windows is to install Visual Studio 2013 or 2015, Git and CMake, then pick a working folder, clone the OpenMW repository into it, and run the CI/before_script.MSVC.sh script with Git Bash. This'll magically download and set up all dependencies, and give you a project file you can open with Visual Studio. You can then make any changes you want, push it to your own forked git repository, and create a pull request.
anontahoe

Post by anontahoe »

AnyOldName3 wrote:The simplest way to get a development environment on Windows is to install Visual Studio 2013 or 2015, Git and CMake, then pick a working folder, clone the OpenMW repository into it, and run the CI/before_script.MSVC.sh script with Git Bash. This'll magically download and set up all dependencies, and give you a project file you can open with Visual Studio. You can then make any changes you want, push it to your own forked git repository, and create a pull request.
unless you are trying to solve a specific windows issue, the simplest way to get a development environment on windows is to install linux in a VM.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm pretty sure that could require more clicks/commands to be entered. You could get everything set up with just four commands from a fresh WIndows install (install Chocolatey or register Chocolatey with OneGet, install VS, Git and CMake via Chocolatey, git clone and run the before_script), and I'm pretty sure to get it working under a linux VM, you still need to install Git and CMake for most distros, do the git clone, and then either run the linux version of the script or manually install the dev packages for all of OpenMW's dependencies. All that's on top of setting up a VM, which isn't hard, but isn't no work at all.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

AnyOldName3 wrote:I'm pretty sure that could require more clicks/commands to be entered. You could get everything set up with just four commands from a fresh WIndows install (install Chocolatey or register Chocolatey with OneGet, install VS, Git and CMake via Chocolatey, git clone and run the before_script), and I'm pretty sure to get it working under a linux VM, you still need to install Git and CMake for most distros, do the git clone, and then either run the linux version of the script or manually install the dev packages for all of OpenMW's dependencies. All that's on top of setting up a VM, which isn't hard, but isn't no work at all.
To be fair, you need 7zip for the CI script to run on windows, so you need to add that to the choco install command.
Grilly

Post by Grilly »

AnyOldName3 wrote:The simplest way to get a development environment on Windows is to install Visual Studio 2013 or 2015, Git and CMake, then pick a working folder, clone the OpenMW repository into it, and run the CI/before_script.MSVC.sh script with Git Bash. This'll magically download and set up all dependencies, and give you a project file you can open with Visual Studio. You can then make any changes you want, push it to your own forked git repository, and create a pull request.

I'd be happy to help out but I'm not going to install windows on any of my machines. I won't even do that to play Skyrim Special Edition. And no, I'm not going to use a Mac either.

I'll use Linux or Solaris on x86/64. That's what I have to work with because I can not legally purchase Windows in this country and I will never go back to F***ing Apple.

But seriously, has anyone taken a look at the place I mentioned? Is that the right place to edit or am I way off base? I think I'm right but I'm not a programmer so I can't be sure. Before I start setting up this and installing that or having fights about my OS, is that the place that needs the edit?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you've got a setup you're happy with using, that's fine, and you'll be able to do something. A lot of Morrowind fans (and hence potential OpenMW fans) are Windows users, so it's often helpful to suggest the Windows build script, especially as it's a lot harder to set up a Windows dev environment manually than it is on Linux and OSX. Then, someone said a wrong thing, and I explained why they were mistaken, as leaving it unchallenged might have lead to people doing more work than necessary.

We weren't telling you that you had to switch OS, just what to do if you were already using Windows.