Skyrim SE

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ravenwing

Skyrim SE

Post by Ravenwing »

So what are everyone's impressions of the special edition so far? Personally I think even if it hadn't looked better, the change to 64 bit would have been worth it for the opportunities it opens down the road for mods. But the shadows look SOOOOO much better. I can actually stand looking at them now. I also find that it looks at least as good as a good ENB with high res textures but without the performance hit and more importantly without all the wasted time of tweaking all the damn settings.
AnyOldName3

Re: Skyrim SE

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I had a quick play around with it right after it released, and feel like the graphics rival a decent ENB, which is a good sign. However, until most of my mods are ported , I'm not going to do a playthrough, as the character textures are godawful in the vanilla game, and I've got several gameplay enhancement mods on my regular install that I can't live without, and some of them will definitely need a tweak or two to get them running under the new engine.
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

Haven't played yet, but apparently, the music files are in a horribly compressed format with a noticable quality loss. So you'll have to copy the uncompressed files from original Skyrim to the SE.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Almost all of the audio files seem to be horribly compressed. The comparisons shown here
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/com ... gnificant/
make me die a little inside.

Apparently Bethesda is working on a "fix", but it's unknown what exactly the fix will be (higher bitrate xwms? the original wavs as vanilla? will it also fix the music and voice files, which were apparently badly compressed in vanilla too?).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Chris wrote:Almost all of the audio files seem to be horribly compressed. The comparisons shown here
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/com ... gnificant/
make me die a little inside..
What the... ?! Did Bethesda expect people to not notice this? Or maybe they traded audio quality off against graphical quality. (Although I don't think that larger audio files would make that much of a difference.)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'm guessing they accidentally used the Console version audio for the PC release.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Ace (SWE) wrote:I'm guessing they accidentally used the Console version audio for the PC release.
Xbox and PS4 versions are different; on the latter Bethesda encoded all the audio in high-quality proprietary format.