Missing model problem

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
weedfreak

Missing model problem

Post by weedfreak »

I have been using necessities of morrowind mod for at least the last 10 versions of OMW, up to ver 39.

Today a water well was replaced by a spinning !, checking the log I saw that midevilwell.nif was missing, not sure where it went as it worked OK last week. The well is used by NOM but was not in the mod, I checked the original NoM ver 3 zip d/l and it was not in there either but ir was in NoM ver 2 so I copied the nif to meshes in the NoM folder. The well turned up but was of course not textured, the log listed the two missing textures so I grabed them from ver 2 and put them in the textures folder but the well is still not textured.

The log gives the error

Code: Select all

Error loading textures\rockwalk.tga:  code 1
Error loading textures\wood1.tga:  code 1
which, apart from the backslash, is the correct path, the textures can be opened and viewed outside omw but I have no idea what code 1 error is, or why the model disappeared from one week to the next. Any ideas?
DestinedToDie

Re: Missing model problem

Post by DestinedToDie »

You could download Nifskope and use it to open the well.nif, point the right textures to it and see if that solves it. Here´s how it looks.

Btw you say the model is not there in NoM ver 3. The missing model problem might be the due to the mod rather than OpenMW´s fault. Not sure about the textures. I´ve experienced some mods loading their textures fine in vanilla Morrowindengine , but getting pink in OpenMW. But then again the way you use NoM ver 3 and insert a model from ver 2 could mess up the textures, and that could be the cause.
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

I do not think nifskope works on linux, or am I wrong? It certaimly is not in Arch repositories.

The point is that NoM worked fine for over a year, the model displayed correctly even though it was not in the mod. I was searching on nexus and found someone else who had the same problem and they cured it the same way, copy the model and two textures from ver 2 into version 3, well they were using bethesda's engine so it just went into the data folder, I put them in the NoM data folder.

Agreed it is probably not an omw problem, but omw does give the vague error code 1 message.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

weedfreak wrote:I do not think nifskope works on linux, or am I wrong? It certaimly is not in Arch repositories.
As far as I know, you are correct. I will not outright state that it doesn't -- but I will say that I've never gotten it to work, nor have I found a solution on how to get it to work.

Would be nice though if it did.

ST the windowz hater
johndh

Post by johndh »

I've gotten NifSkope to run on Wine to the extent that it opens and can load a model, but I don't know enough about how to use it to verify if any other features work properly.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

johndh wrote:I've gotten NifSkope to run on Wine to the extent that it opens and can load a model, but I don't know enough about how to use it to verify if any other features work properly.
It works as intended. At least it did in April, and I don't think Wine has any regressions concerning this matter.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

No need to use wine. Nifskope can be compiled for Linux.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Thanks Scrawl -- I had not looked into this in a while (was trying to run an older version of windows Nifskope which did not seem to want to work under wine).

I will try to compile this and get it running in Linux, and I can let anyone know how this works.

ST
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

Scrawls suggestion to resave the files via gimp solved the problem and Nom now works as intended.

I would be interested in getting nifskope to run though, the nif tools site(s) are diabolical, sourceforge sends you to github which says the d/l is on sourceforge which . . . ad infinitum. I did get the code eventually but cannot get it to compile, so any help there would be appriciated.