OGRE 1.8

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

OGRE 1.8

Post by Zini »

What is people's opinion about OGRE 1.8. It is still in RC state and will probably stay like this for a couple of months.

OGRE 1.8 is incompatible with 1.7, so if we upgrade than we all need to upgrade at the same time.

We need OGRE 1.8 mostly for the terrain, which is already in a very advanced state and could easily be released with OpenMW 0.14.0.

Shall we upgrade now or wait?
scrawl

Re: OGRE 1.8

Post by scrawl »

I'd say upgrade now. Officially it's an RC state, but the reality is that they are just fixing up the samples and everything else is pretty much stable. Also, given the huge addition that the terrain is, I think no one wants to wait longer.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I agree, since Ogre is not going to be released any time soon, it's either get the terrain for this release, or wait an indefinite amount of time until they get their release out. If we want the terrain for this release then waiting earns us nothing.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Terrain may also need some tweaks to work with 1.8. I am back running 1.7 so I don't know what changed. I do know there are a few changes in Ogre::Terrain from 1.7 to 1.8.

If memory servers me, the changes needed were in the new material we have for terrain.

I say upgrade.

EDIT:
To add detail, there is something about the 1.7 terrain that in some cases seems to lead to an assertion being triggered (so the problem is only aparant in debug builds of ogre).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Yacoby wrote: If memory servers me, the changes needed were in the new material we have for terrain.
Nope. We don't need to change anything there, since we use our own source for terrain material.

IIRC there were no major changes to terrain API, so if we're lucky we won't have to change anything at all.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay, then. We will change as soon as the 0.13.0 release is out. I think someone had a branch with the required compatibility changes for OGRE 1.8.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

https://github.com/scrawl/openmw/tree/terrain18

Terrain branch with 1.8 compability fixes applied.

Edit: There's a problem with a warning with a lot of files:

Code: Select all

/usr/include/OGRE/OgreGpuProgramManager.h:185:41: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
doesn't look like its our fault, though.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

That 'const' qualifier is pointless (because that method returns by value), but it is a "bug" in Ogre code base (probably it should be reported).
hircine

Post by hircine »

I get 195 of those warnings :x
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Here's Ogre's page about what to do with bugs. If you haven't already registered on their forums, you should, since each one of you is working on an Ogre related project and this also gives you access to posting bugs in their bug tracker.