Bethesda doing a Skyrim remaster, no Morrowind one though.

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ace (SWE)

Bethesda doing a Skyrim remaster, no Morrowind one though.

Post by Ace (SWE) »

http://www.gamesradar.com/a-skyrim-rema ... rowind-hd/

Seems Bethesda are planning on pushing for a Skyrim 2.0, guessing to get their modding support from FO4 ported back onto that, would improve their console sales a lot.
If the online rumour mill - which has been very right this week - is correct, we're getting an Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim remaster. A number of reports suggest a PS4 and Xbox One remake of the one game that literally everyone has been screaming for.
Also goes into a bit of information about how a Morrowind remaster never going to happen.
Understandably, this has got a lot of people talking about the chances of seeing any other Elder Scrolls games all HD'd up. Whatever you might be hoping for you can cross Morrowind off the list. I spoke to Bethesda’s Pete Hines a while back and he was pretty clear on one thing: no Morrowind remaster.

"To take Morrowind and then to completely rebuild it? It was an Xbox game. To completely rebuild it have it be relevant for today? That’s a pretty massive team doing a massive amount of work,” he explained.

With a game as old as Morrowind (2002!?) it’s not just a case of brushing up the textures a bit. “You go back and look at it. Do you remember the dialogue system in Morrowind?” points out Hines. “Do you remember what it was like talking to someone and scrolling through this long list of questions. You put that out for someone that just finished Skyrim and they’re going to be like ‘What in the hell…?’”
I get the feeling this might turn out to be a boon for us, and I don't think I'd want a Bethesda made remake anyway, considering the last quote there.
ezze

Re: Bethesda doing a Skyrim remaster, no Morrowind one thoug

Post by ezze »

With a game as old as Morrowind (2002!?) it’s not just a case of brushing up the textures a bit. “You go back and look at it. Do you remember the dialogue system in Morrowind?” points out Hines. “Do you remember what it was like talking to someone and scrolling through this long list of questions. You put that out for someone that just finished Skyrim and they’re going to be like ‘What in the hell…?’”
This guys should really learn to speak with people outside their offices...
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

On every gaming forum I'm on, noone is waiting for Skyrim 2.0. It's either Morrowind or Oblivion they're waiting for. It would be epic² to have a Morrowind remaster, but that would suck big time for the OpenMW team...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We're the Morrowind Remastered. ;)
ezze

Post by ezze »

Zobator wrote:On every gaming forum I'm on, noone is waiting for Skyrim 2.0. It's either Morrowind or Oblivion they're waiting for. It would be epic² to have a Morrowind remaster, but that would suck big time for the OpenMW team...
Why? To have a company that makes newer assets for us would be great.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Agreed!
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

ezze wrote:Why? To have a company that makes newer assets for us would be great.
But I might turn the whole OpenMW new-engine-thing obsolete for the larger public since they'd probably port it to a updated version of Creation Engine or some other newer engine. Off course, to get the true original feeling of Morrowind going, OpenMW would be the way to go.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zobator wrote:But I might turn the whole OpenMW new-engine-thing obsolete for the larger public since they'd probably port it to a updated version of Creation Engine or some other newer engine.
Possible, but we don't shove some draconian EULA down everyone's throat...

I would rather them work with us on the engine and have them do their asset magic and sell it back to the world as an end-product. :)

The engine would be GPL, no skin off their backs, but the assets would still be their IP and they can charge whatever they think is reasonable. Everyone wins.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've seen lots of people actively complaining about the proposed Skyrim remaster, but to be honest, I'd quite like it, as long as:
  • The new engine didn't have as many limitations as the original (e.g. being 32-bit).
  • It supported a superset of the original's papyrus code.
  • It kept roughly the same esm/esp format so old mods could still be loaded.
  • The SKSE team could make a port fairly quickly.
  • Anything that didn't work right away would require small enough tweaks that a tool could be written to automate it.
  • It got a PC release, hopefully with a discount for people who already own it.
So basically, it'd need to basically be the same, but better. Knowing Bethesda, we can't guarantee that.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Some people seem to be getting confused between remaster and remake. Doesn't help that the article in the top post seemed to use them interchangeably either. A remaster is simply taking what was already made, and producing a higher quality product (a "master" in this context is the assembled product from which sold copies are derived; a remaster is reassembling the same product with better quality). A remake is much more thorough, making the game again from the ground up using newer design principles.

We aren't going to get a Skyrim remake (even if the idea was on the table, it's far too soon for something like that to be close to ready). A remastered Skyrim is likely just going to be a new build of the engine intended for the new consoles, likely with the HD texture pack (which Bethesda has already released for free to PC users), and maybe an improved model pack. I can't say if the new build will be 32-bit or 64-bit (I don't know if the new consoles are capable of handling 32-bit executables), nor can I say if it will have any notable bug fixes over the 1.9 patch (essentially being a 1.10 or 2.0 patch), but it's not going to be significantly different from what was already released.

Similarly, a Morrowind remaster makes little sense because anyone that's still really interested in the game is playing it on PC, and the various texture and sound mods with MGE on top will blow away anything Bethesda could do without straight-up remaking the game (and nobody will be happy with a remade Morrowind).