Delay 1.0 untill all of MWSE is implemented

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
TheMechanist

Re: Delay 1.0 untill all of MWSE is implemented

Post by TheMechanist »

The big regard against implementing Python is the abesence of functional sandboxing. At least I remember Zini writing about it 8-)
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

While I believe MWSE mods should eventually be made compatible, I think the team should focus on getting the basics done first, for a full base Morrowind experience.
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

TheMechanist wrote:The big regard against implementing Python is the abesence of functional sandboxing. At least I remember Zini writing about it 8-)
exactly - and even if you used a sandboxed scripting engine (e.g., lua), you then risk fracturing the community and having incompatible dependencies between mods. Zini has some post-1.0 plans for extending MWScript not just to keep backwards compatibility, but also to keep a unified mod community.
Chris

Post by Chris »

MWScript is going to remain backwards compatible regardless. It still needs to work for Morrowind, after all. The question simply comes down to how it's going to improve the scripting capabilities for the future, and those improvements will not be compatible with vanilla Morrowind (same as MWSE scripts aren't).

MWScript (and MWSE by extension) has an awful syntax. The vanilla CS's compiler also has issues with code verification, allowing a lot of nonsense code to still somehow work despite not being formatted correctly. OpenMW's extensions are going to have more rigorous checks for valid syntax, and is likely going to need a separate parser so it can be sure it's reading properly validated scripts instead of having to watch for vanilla script nonsense. So ultimately it doesn't matter from the engine's perspective if the extensions are handled with a new language or a more strict version of MWScript, since no matter what, new content using the available improvements won't work on vanilla, while vanilla will continue to be compatible.

I'd personally like to see some MWSE compatibility, but only because I consider Better Music System a must-have for expanding the types of music available for different places and situations (no more generic explore music for all times of day, in all weathers, everywhere in the world and in every dungeon; no more battle music interrupting the current music because a mudcrab saw you ten feet away and it slowly crawls over to you only to die in one hit; no more generic battle music that's the same for a single rat compared to Dagoth Ur and a horde of Dreamers).
ezze

Post by ezze »

TheMechanist wrote:The big regard against implementing Python is the abesence of functional sandboxing. At least I remember Zini writing about it 8-)
This is a little funny, people have no problems execute closed source code "as Administrator" written by Bethesda (that we know is not really great in programming), but the lack of sandboxing for mods is seen as a problem. :shock:
raevol

Post by raevol »

ezze wrote:This is a little funny, people have no problems execute closed source code "as Administrator" written by Bethesda (that we know is not really great in programming), but the lack of sandboxing for mods is seen as a problem. :shock:
We know who Bethesda is and just where to direct our legal complaints if it becomes apparent that they intentionally released malicious code. Modders, not so much.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I guess your EULA was different than mine. But I get the point
raevol

Post by raevol »

ezze wrote:I guess your EULA was different than mine.
Hahaha that's fair. :lol: But yea.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Reviving this thread, on the issue of MWSE and mods that utilize it, people will and should make new mods that do the same thing as MWSE mods.... but better. I suspect that most mods that were made for vanilla will be remade for OpenMW. I yearn for a brand new body replacer with new bones, a new replacement for LCV and MCA, etc.... just saying, forget the past and focus on the future. Tamriel Rebuilt has gone back and redone many of their old cells from years ago. Modding is an everlasting hobby.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Sure, but most of the workforce is now gone. Hopefully OpenMW will revive it a bit.