Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by lysol »

Ok, so I read through the terms of use again.

And yes, the thing you're not allowed to do is download their photos and redistribute them to be used the way they they are distributing them to be used. In other words: They don't want competition.

It does say this though:

"[You're allowed to] sell 3D models bundled with modified versions of the Photos, but only if you add the following text to the documentation accompanying the model:

"One or more textures on this 3D model have been created with photographs from Textures.com. These photographs may not be redistributed by default; please visit http://www.textures.com for more information." "

But the thing is, you can't take my textures and redistribute them as people want anyway, because they are derivative works off of Bethesda stuff (as far as I know, Bethesda therefore "owns" my texture pack). And Bethesda, as we all know, allow the modifying and redistribution of their assets to be used in the same game as the asset came with. They've said that you can't take a skyrim model and put into morrowind and vice versa. They've even told that you can't import xbox morrowind data files into OpenMW, even though it could be theoretically possible to do it.

TL/DR: It's ok, I don't have any problems using textures from that site (do note, though, that only a few textures in the vivec pack actually come from that site).

EDIT: Destined came first.
but I think untechnically you are in the clear because you´re not violating their actual intent.
Exactly my point. Love the "untechnically" by the way. ;)

I think the problem here is use of the word "Textures". What is a texture? Is it something that you put on a 3D model or is it a photo of something that you can use in production? When they say you can't make a texture pack, they mean the latter.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So, working a bit with the Hlaalu textures this weekend.

http://imgur.com/hatEi2M

The left banner is new (obviously), and also the wood texture on the pole is new. This wood texture is used more or less everywhere, so it will replace textures in most cities/towns.

I will do more banners later today and tomorrow. I don't actually think there's that much left after that.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Hmm, the deep, dark creases makes it look very leathery. I always figured those banners were simple fabrics...
lysol

Post by lysol »

Haha. It's because I wanted it to look like leather, because I always figured those banners were simple leather hides ;) Which of course is kinda strange, but Morrowind is a strange world on the other hand.

What do you other guys think? Am I totally off thinking the banners are made out of leather? I work with loads of layers (thank god for layers) so it won't be that hard to change the fabric.

http://imgur.com/sifbOmd

Here's another screenshot, the tavern sign. Took a while to paint this one, but I think it turned out pretty good.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Honestly they could be either, I would lean towards them being leather though. The originals do favor having creases in them instead of a weave.

Lysol I love the Hlaalu texture pack! Been running around looking at it, it looks great. :)
Zobator

Post by Zobator »

This is pure gold my man! Wow... Just wow...
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot. :)

I will actually release version 1.0 tonight or tomorrow morning (UTC +1). The thing is that I realize that it's kinda strange to release the Hlaalu pack with banners, since those banners are featured in many cities and towns. I'll release a standalone banner pack instead, with all the leather (or whatever) banners of that kind. We'll see when those are done, but I've done a few already at least.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Excited to see it!
lysol

Post by lysol »

raevol

Post by raevol »

Looks awesome. :D Can't wait for moar.