Issue #3185 - finding a suitable NPC model

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

johndh

Re: Issue #3185 - finding a suitable NPC model

Post by johndh »

I tried changing the names already, to no avail. I can get the mesh to load, but it only appears in first person, and isn't where it should be, regardless of any changes I make to position, rotation, or scale. I'll try making a separate anim_base.1st.nif file and see if that does anything.

Do you have a Blend file for Moonboy? That would help tremendously.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Unfortunately the blend file is lost. But hey, I figured this stuff out all by myself, so the good news is that it isn´t unsolvable.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Roger that. Soldiering on.
johndh

Post by johndh »

With a lot of help from DestinedToDie, I managed to get it so there's a working model that doesn't depend on Bethesda's rig, using Moonboy as a basis. I imported Moonboy's NIFs into Blender and they re-export fairly well, and I was able to replace Moonboy's extant body parts with parts of my own. For some reason, the non-Moonboy body parts don't animate (which is weird because they work just fine with the vanilla rig), so that's next on the to-do list. I also need to adjust proportions a bit.
Attachments
Screenshot_testlady_in_wasteland.png
Screenshot_testlady_in_wasteland.png (71.92 KiB) Viewed 9710 times
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

What does the command prompt say when you try to move? Maybe it doesn´t animate because nothing is rigged.

That being said, we really should forget about using Moonboy. The skeleton is too primitive, the animations were done with a blockman and I´ve no idea how horrible they look on a smooth human body.
johndh

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote:What does the command prompt say when you try to move? Maybe it doesn´t animate because nothing is rigged.

That being said, we really should forget about using Moonboy. The skeleton is too primitive, the animations were done with a blockman and I´ve no idea how horrible they look on a smooth human body.
I'm working on a solution right now. Right now I just need it to work. It can look pretty later. :)
johndh

Post by johndh »

It's alive! She still needs some tweaks to get the proportions right, but animations are working with custom body parts!
Attachments
Screenshot_testlady_in_wasteland_walking.png
Screenshot_testlady_in_wasteland_walking.png (74.57 KiB) Viewed 9680 times
johndh

Post by johndh »

The bones have now been proportioned and positioned properly, and attachment points for clavicles, weapon, hair, and shield have been added. I'm also learning a lot about the logic behind certain things, like why all of the *_skins.nif files include the hands and torsos. After reverse engineering all of this, I'm bound to be one of the foremost experts in the subject. :lol:

I want to see if it'll support IK solvers, and open-close bones for the hands, but those will probably have to wait as I hope to be busy with other things for a few days. I expect that animations will have to be redone basically from scratch.

P.S. I'd like to apologize if I've been a pain in the ass to anyone during this process.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-02-26 test lady in game.jpg
Screenshot from 2016-02-26 test lady in game.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
Screenshot from 2016-02-26 updated rig.jpg
Screenshot from 2016-02-26 updated rig.jpg (4.06 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
hircine

Post by hircine »

Thanks for your hardwork johndh,

looks like everything is coming together.

Keep it up!
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

Any news on this ?