Command Line Argument for .cfg files

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
openmwfan27

Command Line Argument for .cfg files

Post by openmwfan27 »

Is there currently a command line argument that you can pass to the openmw binary and openmw-launcher binary so you can over-ride the default path they will use to look for files like the users openmw.cfg and settings.cfg?

If not would this be a difficult thing to build in?
Capostrophic

Re: Command Line Argument for .cfg files

Post by Capostrophic »

If it were added, it would be stored in user settings.cfg. Ba-dum-tsh.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

On Linux you can use the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable. AFAIK no such variable exists on Windows. We could implement one though.
openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 »

I've been playing around with the idea of building some basic type of mod manager and using it as a chance to learn python and qt. It would be good if i could 'load' additional engines into it rather then just doing one.

e.g if you were doing bug-testing with a mod, you could 'load in' every version of openmw, and then run your game / mods on each engine, in theory this would also allow users to add 'forked' engines if they were working on their own projects.

The problem is when all of these binaries use the same settings.cfg and openmw.cfg as far as i can tell, so if you're using alternate engines some settings might not be backwards compatible etc... and it would be handy as a feature in general.

If you could pass in a command line argument to say "instead of the default path, look in [this folder] for the settings.cfg and openmw.cfg files"

Having platform specific flag's for this seems kinda weird, and as you said windows does not have something similar to linux so having this built into the openmw and openmw-launcher binaries would bring the feature to all platforms implemented the same way.
Tels

Post by Tels »

Me thinks this would be a great feature. Currently I'm testing openmw with a lot of mods, and thus have a lot of data= lines in the config.

Swapping out config files is error-prone and cumbersome and it would be cool to have a way to easily tell openmw "use this set of configs now" so you can easily test a mod on its own, without the other ones, and then quickly switch back to the full set.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Tels wrote:Me thinks this would be a great feature. Currently I'm testing openmw with a lot of mods, and thus have a lot of data= lines in the config.
Could see this being very useful for testing as you mentioned, but it could come in handy for multiple setups like if you have a morrowind install to play the original game, and you are working on the example suite in another setup for example.

I hope this is a feature in the works.

ST